Crate Engine? Worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

delsolkm14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350ci SBC
Hello all, been awhile since I have been on here, still sitting over in Afghanistan but looking towards the future when I get home for a few months in March on a long R&R.

Starting to look at parts for my K10 so I can have it up and running when I get home. I think I am going to just turn it into a fun truck, replace the inner front fenders, fender flares for the front, repair the rockers and cab corners then rhino line the underside, inside and outside(maybe just 1/4 way up and a cheap paint on top) (easy cleanup). I was planning on making it more of a driving big truck, but plan on getting a different truck for that, so only occasional fun for this one.

Here is what it looks like before I took it apart and what it looked like before I moved it to behind my shed -

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I blew the head-gasket prior to the tear down, and the engine in there is pretty well shot, so need to figure something out. I thought about having it rebuilt and all that, but since I am not there to pull the engine, figure a Crate Engine would be the easiest route.

What do you guys think if this setup? It is a 383 crate for $2595 shipped to the house.

Crate Engine on Ebay

Although I hate body lifts, I think I am going to do a 2" lift to help with some clearance with the 39.5" Super Swampers.

I do have to re-wire the truck as well, someone attempted to do something to it and hacked the wiring all up.

I would like to keep everything under about $5-$6k, which I think is reasonable if I don't go overboard and keep it simple.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Crate engines are the best way if you have the money to invest into a truck. New engine will be far more reliable and stronger than any old engine.

Don't bother with a body lift.. Go with a proper lift and you'll be much happier. If you can't do either then get smaller tires.

Depending on your running gear and ratios the 39.5s could be hurting you.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Go Ls and don't look back.

delsolkm14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350ci SBC
Crate engines are the best way if you have the money to invest into a truck. New engine will be far more reliable and stronger than any old engine.

Don't bother with a body lift.. Go with a proper lift and you'll be much happier. If you can't do either then get smaller tires.

Depending on your running gear and ratios the 39.5s could be hurting you.

I already have a 6" suspension lift. The 39,5"s rubbed slightly before I trimmed the front fenders, but are okay now. I think a 2" lift will raise it just enough to have some peace of mind of not cutting the tires up.

Not sure what gears are in there, I only drive it about 15x total before i blew the head-gasket (deployments, school, schedule, etc). So I still have some learning to do on the truck as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus