Craigslist…...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
So I take a 2 hr round trip in rush hour traffic to see what may be a great deal on an 86 short bed that was posted only hours before I called. I was to be the first one there. Ad was for $2900 or best offer.

Sure enough, it is a one family owner, completely rust free v8 short bed truck. Brand new tires, battery, and inspected.

I make a $2900 agreement with the husband, but then his wife comes out and says they can not sell the truck until everyone sees it and they will take the highest offer. I explained to her that the ad clearly communicates that $2900 would buy the truck and what she was talking about now was really a "highest bidder" situation. Said she didn't care and that's what they were doing.

Man was I mad. Integrity is everything.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Wow that sucks...Craigslist is hit or miss with folks. That truck would have to be a great deal for me to consider dealing with her again.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I think she believes or best offer means like an auction. Being that everyone will attempt a lower than asking price and you offered asking price I hope you left your number. If they call back you have every right to ask what the highest offer was and shoot between that and the asking price.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Another thought is when one or more people show interest, or sellers start getting multiple calls, greed takes over and voila you have bidding wars, this and what happened to my dad once really chaps my butt, he called about a truck he had already looked at, told the guy he wanted it and was on his way, ten to fifteen minute drive, when he got there the guy was selling it to someone else after dad had agreed on a price and the sale. I know what my dad looks like when he's upset, but he keeps his calm, but when his eyes turn black I know from experience that I'm done for! Lol

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Yeah I've had a run-in with a Craiglist a-hole too. Had acquired the money to buy a '66 Chevy c20 and was coordinating picking it up. The guy backed out last minute and posted it back on CL after telling me he gave it to his son. It actually worked out in my favor because I found a '65 c20 locally that was in way better condition and was a 2-owner truck at the time I purchased it. When I pass, there will be a 4th owner. Or I may be buried in it...lol... :gathering:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------