Lares steering box review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-roy K10

Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’ve been doing a lot of work on this 85 K10 to get it to drive as well as possible. One reason for buying this truck is for a back-up. If my work truck breaks down and has to spend some time in the shop I’ll have something to work out of (at least that’s the excuse I gave the wife ).
So, I was down to the steering. When I got it the steering had way too much slack so I tried to adjust it and did get most of the slop out but it was always too tight. Meaning that coming out of turn you could let the wheel go but it kept turning. When I tried to loosen it, the slop came back. What a pain, you were always trying to make adjustments to keep it straight down the road. I was about to order a redhead box when I found the Lares on the Summit website. It said it was new and was only about $40. More than the redhead with no core return, so I ordered it. Well it gets here and I found that it too is rebuilt. Yes, that false advertising. It felt tight on the bench and I didn’t want to start over so I put it in. I guess it was the right move because it drive much better. Good enough that I would drive it anywhere now. The steering is light and probably as precise as you’re going to get a 1985 4x4 with 33s to be.
So, just so you know, they are not new, but work well and the price is good for not having to deal with sent the old one back.
Oh, and it has “China” on the box. Just so you know. I Hope it lasts.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Lares offers both new an reman units. Wonder of you got sent the wrong one? I'd be checking my invoice an part numbers to be sure as they are really close to the same.

Hopefully it lasts you a long time though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB