Couple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olemans85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aden
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
358 roller
Can or how hard will it be to remove the polution pump, hoses, etc.? (to eliminate the emission parts)
And I want to run a non- cat exhaust. Will no cat. damage the motor?

This is what my semi-affordable plan is.:laughing1:
Use the stock 4-barrel quadrajet on an aluminum intake. A Comp's Thmpr cam. vortex heads. Some headers with X-pipe dual exhaust and turbo mufflers. (non-cat) On the small block 305

Last edited:

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Non-cat shouldn't affect the motor at all. All it does is burn any excess particles that make it through the motor. In doing so, it creates a restriction on the exhaust. When this restriction is removed, it should run a little bit better without upgrading the exhaust since the engine isn't losing any power trying to push the exhaust gases through the cat.

Before you do the exhaust swap, make sure that there isn't any local laws that require you to keep the smog equipment and/or factory cats.

When my truck was still required to be smogged years ago, my father just removed the pump internals and blocked the exhaust recirculation from the headers. Looks stock, doesn't fuction.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
On gutting the pump is it hard to do. Will it make a difference. Or just be easier to spin from the pully less parasitic loss. Ive thought about once or twice. I just passed my emmision test in phx the numbers were so low they ran it twice trying to fail me. They were about 20% of the max

thatcanuckguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
colin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 stepside
Engine Size
no cat = less backpressure. less backpressure = more power. like noted earlier, check the laws of the local fun police before you remove your tree hugger junk. (we dont have that in my city yet). but less pollution junk = more power. keep in mind yo do have a 305 though.

olemans85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aden
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
358 roller
Questions

I believe I can run historical registration and it's a one time inspection.
Once I do this I'd like to do the mentioned work. A few local guys say I need the cats or I'll have motor issues in the future. I think this only pertains to the newer LS motors. So nothing will need to be plugged or cleared electronically when doing this? The cam, heads & headers will swap to a 350 in the future or could sell if I go with one of the LS motors. If the 305 retires.

Thanks,
Aden

thatcanuckguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
colin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 stepside
Engine Size
personally, for the $ and labour involved in the future 305 mods, i,d scrap it and go with an ls swap. much bigger bang for the buck, better driveability, dependability, and performance. you couldnt get that kinda power out of a 305 for anywhere near the price of a good used ls motor. just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486