Cost of shipping a truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I looking to buy a 1960 M35 deuce and a half. Runs and moves, guy only wants 2k, which is cheap for a deuce. Biggest problem is, I live in New Mexico, and the truck is in Massachusetts.
Now I have family in Mass, and was planning on going on a trip that way in the next couple months. So checking it out and buying it isn't a problem, and my uncle lives not too far away and has a farm I can park it at for a while. My next biggest issue is how to get it home. My first thought was to make it road worthy, and do an epic road trip cross America, with my uncle, and take all the backroads.
But, it is 61 years old, and has a top speed of about 50mph, and probaly hasn't moved from that pineneedle covered grave for about 10 years, so maybe shipping it would be the smarter move.
Problem is, its 13,000 lbs empty, and I'd need a proper tractor trailer to move it.

I'm curious if any of you have any idea how much something like that would cost? Or maybe you have a better idea. Any input would be appreciated.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
You must be registered for see images attach

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When I had my K20 shipped from Oregon to Ohio, they counted it as 1.5 cars because of the size. I bet this would be 2+. If you can find an independent to haul it (thats who brought mine) thats how I'd go.

Getting shipping rates for vehicles is right up there with root canals and prostrate exams to me. They will harass you for weeks and these parasites want 100's of $$$ for answering a phone and posting it on a board. As bad as realtors.

I can PM you a number of a guy I use.....no 50 calls and 100 texts to my phone to deal with....he just takes care of it and is super reasonable.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Earlier this year I looked into shipping a truck from Washington to Ohio. Based on a recommendation from @Kim Burke, I contacted Deborah at Way To Go Transportation. She was very nice, gave me a quote and I was never bothered about anything else again. Circumstances changed and we ended up buying a non-running truck and my contact in WA was able to haul it for us. But, if we had bought a running/driving truck, I most certainly would have used the services of Way To Go.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh, at that time, it would have cost around $1800 to ship a full size truck. I bet a truck that is twice the size and weight would easily cost double that.

milsurpman

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c20
Engine Size
I just had a three-quarter ton Shipped from Minneapolis to Dallas it cost 1200 so you’re probably looking at at least 1800

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
1800$ would be great, that's just around what I was hoping for.
I checked out that uship website. So far I got about 10 different quotes, all around or above 4900$. Quite a bit more than I was hoping for.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Unless the truck is missing the exhaust pipe on the rt front cab corner it appears this truck is a gasser.
Also the headlights are still in the low mount position and "cats eye" signal lamps.
Likely an unmolested straight M35 and not an A1 or A2.
Likely never been overhauled.
I have driven ex-military trucks home more than 2700 miles and others from distances in between.
This truck looks like it might need a lot of work to make it safe for the trip you have in mind.
Check the transportation thread on SteelSoldiers.com for possible transport.
Get him down on the price if it is a gasser/sprag transfercase/direct drive transmission.
Money saved there would help pay for shipping.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Dooley,

Would you know about shipping by rail? It would probably cost as much as to ship it by air wouldn't it. Truck would be best but man it would take a heavy trailer to haul it.

I drove a deuce in the Army every once in awhile and isn't it the big air cleaner that goes in the hole in the right side panel under the hood? These could be '60's deuce's.

Last edited:

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Could you confirm my suspicions about this truck?
Is it an m35 with original gas engine?
These do not bring as much money as they are preferred with the A1 and A2 upgrades such as the multifuel diesel engine and overdrive transmission. Air shift transfer case is preferred to the sprag unit.
In New Mexico a deuce will cost you more but save you on shipping and usually if out of CA, NV, TX, and closer to home they are often less "rusty" than from many other locations.
A 6 ton rated load capacity trailer would haul the deuce ok with proper truck.
Empty that bed out.
Don't throw any junk tire and wheels in it to bring home and if it is the gasser it will weigh a little less.
Pare it down to just 6 tires and wheels as they are likely not any good and you will find newer/better ones close to home.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Could you confirm my suspicions about this truck?
Is it an m35 with original gas engine?
These do not bring as much money as they are preferred with the A1 and A2 upgrades such as the multifuel diesel engine and overdrive transmission. Air shift transfer case is preferred to the sprag unit.
In New Mexico a deuce will cost you more but save you on shipping and usually if out of CA, NV, TX, and closer to home they are often less "rusty" than from many other locations.
A 6 ton rated load capacity trailer would haul the deuce ok with proper truck.
Empty that bed out.
Don't throw any junk tire and wheels in it to bring home and if it is the gasser it will weigh a little less.
Pare it down to just 6 tires and wheels as they are likely not any good and you will find newer/better ones close to home.

The guy has it listed as an M35A1. I could ask. As far as I knew, they all had the multi fuel engine, except the later A3 variants that had Cummins. I didn't know there was a gas specific version, just that you can burn gas in a multi fuel if you mix in some motor oil.
Steel soldiers is actually where I found that for. I'm a member there for m38 jeep, my cucv, and my M105A2 trailer.
I've looked and looked, I cant find anything like that close to me. Certainly not in New Mexico. The closest I've found were in either Texas or Cali, and they always want way too much. Way far out of my price range. And Texas coast or California coast trucks have just as many rust issues, and are both in directions I never travel.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
The M35A3 never was equipped with a Cummins. They were equipped with a Cat 3116 diesel. It's a 45 mph deuce.
The original M35 had a Reo-Continental 331-6 gas engine. Not to be confused with the hypercycle multifuel diesel.
Found the ad for this truck.
The LDS 427 is a good engine.
The ad says head gasket leak. No brakes.
All wheels/drums should be removed and checked. Clean and pack bearings.
Hydraulic brake lines should be diligently inspected.
This truck might have the direct drive transmission. Easy to spot with a normal shift pattern.
The OD transmission has 4/5 reversed in pattern.
Around here the truck might bring $1K as it sits. No title would be a problem in any state where a title is required for licensing.

There are some truck sales in AZ and Utah. I've seen some nice ones come out of Barstow.
I got a nice truck from Nellis.
You should know it is unsafe to travel interstate highways with these trucks. The military only does this in marked convoys.
A guy was killed driving his new to him M35A3 home when he was involved in a 3 vehicle crash involving a van and a Peterbilt, in Utah.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84