Cooper Discoverer MTP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Cool pics! Looks like a blast. (Ida left my truck at the highway and taken a snomachine, but that's me, lol)
You ever sipe your tires? Turns a set of full block mudders like your KM3s into freakin Nokian Hakkas on the highway!
I've been using siped mudders as all around winter tires for years now. Good open tread to chew through deep (ish) snow and enough biting surfaces to stick good on packed snow and ice. About as good as studless tires can anyways.

i didn’t sipe these- I did to some mud terrains probably 25 years ago and it was great for winter but with all the summer driving on dirt and gravel they chunked up badly. the rubber compound is different now- but haven’t tried it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i didn’t sipe these- I did to some mud terrains probably 25 years ago and it was great for winter but with all the summer driving on dirt and gravel they chunked up badly. the rubber compound is different now- but haven’t tried it.

They’ll still get tore up if you’re wheels spinnin on dirt and rocks. Im sold on it for winter driving and they seem to hold up fine in the off season, on the road.
But yeah I wouldn’t do it for off roading with no white stuff present.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They’ll still get tore up if you’re wheels spinnin on dirt and rocks. Im sold on it for winter driving and they seem to hold up fine in the off season, on the road.
But yeah I wouldn’t do it for off roading with no white stuff present.

I know of some people that have siped their tires for rocks, the idea being that the tire will flex better when aired down. I'm not sure if it actually helps for that or not.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
For rock crawling, especially slick rock absolutely.
Same principle that works on ice, more biting surface = more traction.

In “normal” dirt road driving some rocks, spinning tires, maybe pulling a trailer, faster tire west will be a by product of the increased traction.
Example, set of new siped Toyos, hauled heavy TC and trailer to AK from here, used truck with camper all over AK that summer including a lot of backroads. Like Denali highway and Mc Carthy road. Didn’t rotate tires for a good 10k miles or more.
Back tires were chewed up and over half wore out.
Same truck and camper another set of super mudders. Lots of miles on I 90 here cross the state and back. Virtually no discernible additional wear and tear. But mostly all straight up highway miles.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I talked with a wood buyers that buys timber from me. These guys routinely put 40 to 50k a year on their trucks and run AT or MT tires. One guy told me his coopers were terrible. 25 to 30k a d metal showing. He said he had Federal cororiga MT or whatever there called and he had 70+k on the set he had on there. Now they were bald and worn but I bet he got a legit 60k before the two that were bald I saw were too worn. These were on a 2019 f150 that he had for like 1.5 years or so at this point. This was the second set of them he had on the truck and it had about 145k on it. He said he swapped the factory tires off at about 2500 miles.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I talked with a wood buyers that buys timber from me. These guys routinely put 40 to 50k a year on their trucks and run AT or MT tires. One guy told me his coopers were terrible. 25 to 30k a d metal showing. He said he had Federal cororiga MT or whatever there called and he had 70+k on the set he had on there. Now they were bald and worn but I bet he got a legit 60k before the two that were bald I saw were too worn. These were on a 2019 f150 that he had for like 1.5 years or so at this point. This was the second set of them he had on the truck and it had about 145k on it. He said he swapped the factory tires off at about 2500 miles.

Interesting. Did he say which Coopers they were?

I'll mention we got over 60k from our first set of Cepeks. The second set is getting close to 40k now. The front is around 1/2 tread and the rear is a bit lower. Lol, the wife has been mashing the throttle more lately it seems and I haven't done a rotation lately.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Interesting. Did he say which Coopers they were?

I'll mention we got over 60k from our first set of Cepeks. The second set is getting close to 40k now. The front is around 1/2 tread and the rear is a bit lower. Lol, the wife has been mashing the throttle more lately it seems and I haven't done a rotation lately.
They would of been the cooper MTs. It had to have been his old truck cause the new one he has with 140k on it makes sense for the 2 sets of Federal he had with about 60 to 70k each. I am not sure what the previous truck he had. The f150 he has now I know it's on the second engine. And like 2 or 3 radiators. When I saw him the cooling fans were wide open when I saw him. He said it had overheating issues. I think the dealer set his fans to wide open, he said it never moves from wide open on the cooling fans. The other buyer that works with him had the engine blow up at 5000 miles on his f150 last year. It was one of those ecoboost. They said the dealer claims it came without oil...I said that's good it even went 5000 miles. They wanted to rebuild the engine. He told them NO your not rebuilding the engine in a truck with 5000 miles your putting a new one in it. They kept arguing untill it was long enough he used the lemon law on them and got another new truck.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I will say a lot of those guys run BFG all terrains. Like I said most of them run a lot of miles. They run through tires like crazy.

The same guy that said he ran Nittos said they got decent mileage, in the 40s or 50s out of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84sqbdy