Cooper Discoverer MTP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Anyone run these?
Any reviews?

Any comparisons to BFG or Micky Thompson MT's?

Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

mrghostwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/20
Engine Size
I've run Cooper Discoverer A/T on a Jeep Liberty and a Jeep Wrangler. I have no experience with the M/T model but I have always been happy with Coopers in the snow. The M/T tread looks like it would do the job off road.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They must be another one of Coopers new tire tread designs.
They would look silly on your 2wd squarebody imo.

And they’re one of those tweener designs for the mall crawlers that want a mud tire look.
Predicted performance is mediocre in all conditions.
Far too loud and rough to be a ht tread.
Not enough siping and too chunky to be a good AT.
To goofy/trendy of a tread pattern and not enough void space to be a good MT.
Basically they don’t look like they’ll excel at anything. Kind of like Toyo RTs. Which I have a set of and they are the least impressive high $ tires overall I’ve had in a long time.

I like cooper tires in general but those don’t seem well thought out.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There that design for the Brodozers that have the huge rims, wide and tall for their sticky out wheels on their trucks. They larger blocks that are centered more is to keep the road noise down and have more contact with the road to sound more like an AT tire. They shoulder lugs are open to get some grip and self clean well.

I think they would do fine for mild off-road to some sloppy stuff. Probably not as good as a classical tire and I would not run them if I did a lot of road miles and you want more than 30k out of a tire. And if you have 2wd it's really just about looks if you put those tires on. Which of that's what you want it's your truck that's fine. But I don't think you would get more than 35k at the best case scenario.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They’d probably have great traction if you siped them though.

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I just got a set a Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT for my '85 K5 last week. I got some 32X11.50R15LT's - which I believe is as big as you can go on a stock lift without rubbing. I like em' so far. I was going to order a set of Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3's, but the set of dry rotted, 12 year old, BF Goodrich that were on there when I bought it 3 weeks ago started cracking on the sidewalls. One just decided to give up the ghost on me while I was putting new plugs and wires in the thing. I closed the hood and heard the familiar "psssshhhhtttttttt" sound coming from the left rear. I squirted some slime in it and then limped 3 miles up the road to the tire shop and they just happened to have a set of the Coopers in stock.

So the M/T's were just not meant to be, apparently.

But yeah - Cooper tires are good to go as others have stated.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I agree, those don’t look like they’d be great for snow, not sure about mud though. These are what I’m getting next.

https://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-stt-pro

Does anyone have a direct comparison of those and the Dick Cepek Extreme County? The tread pattern is very similar. I've run two sets of the Cepeks and love them. Excellent traction in mud and snow, and they aren't too awful noisy. I can only assume the Cooper STT's would be similar.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Does anyone have a direct comparison of those and the Dick Cepek Extreme County? The tread pattern is very similar. I've run two sets of the Cepeks and love them. Excellent traction in mud and snow, and they aren't too awful noisy. I can only assume the Cooper STT's would be similar.

I’m not sure, I’ll take a look. I agree they seem pretty similar.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Anyone run these?
Any reviews?

Any comparisons to BFG or Micky Thompson MT's?

Thanks.

Ran them on a farm truck, 10 Ford Diesel. Run the A/T on my little 89. Thing I dont like about Coopers, is the don't give you a square corner, from tread to side wall. May not matter in boggy mud but does very much in this slippery shallow snot we turn into when we get wet up here. They wear well and give a good ride for what they are (10 ply) Personally I prefer a Yokohama.

Edit to add. Have heard of several that just blew out at 50/60percent wear. Never happened to me but have been told it by a couple people.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Listen to your Uncle Cooper. He wants you safe on the road.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
It is funny how many opinions there are of tires. That being said there are a lot of different conditions out there and some tires at that particular day, time, and temperature will just work better...

I was almost all set to buy the Cooper STT Pros, but then found a rebate or sale on my BFG KM3s so I bought those instead. About a month later the offroad group went to an area I had never been at before. All of us aired down on the road and I found it real interesting that a Land cruiser had the SST Pros. Both of us had the same tire size (315/75R16) and both of us aired down to 10 psi. Figure vehicle weights between us were very similar. (he had a lot of crap on board and a diesel engine). He had front and rear air lockers, I have a trutrac/detroit. Very similar and capable vehicles.

Within the first 100 yards there was a drift. The Land Cruiser in front of me slid sideways trying to go thru it and then got stuck. Since there were now tracks going towards the drop off I figured I'd really have problems. Nope. Crawled right thru and there was no slipping to the side.

For the next 6 hours following this guy he was always slipping to the side on off camber sections of the trail. He also got stuck 3 times that day. A 4 door jeep on some Toyo "country" tires got stuck twice. I didn't get stuck or have any issues all day.

After the 3rd time he got stuck I passed him and was behind the Jeep on 40s breaking trail.

The KM3s should not do well in a heavy moisture filled snow but they have proved themselves quite a few times. They don't do well on hardpack snow or ice on the road itself though.

Here was the Jeep getting stuck on Toyos.

You must be registered for see images

I even made it up the other side of this ravine my first try. Didn't think there was a chance...

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Cool pics! Looks like a blast. (Ida left my truck at the highway and taken a snomachine, but that's me, lol)
You ever sipe your tires? Turns a set of full block mudders like your KM3s into freakin Nokian Hakkas on the highway!
I've been using siped mudders as all around winter tires for years now. Good open tread to chew through deep (ish) snow and enough biting surfaces to stick good on packed snow and ice. About as good as studless tires can anyways.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It is funny how many opinions there are of tires. That being said there are a lot of different conditions out there and some tires at that particular day, time, and temperature will just work better...

I was almost all set to buy the Cooper STT Pros, but then found a rebate or sale on my BFG KM3s so I bought those instead. About a month later the offroad group went to an area I had never been at before. All of us aired down on the road and I found it real interesting that a Land cruiser had the SST Pros. Both of us had the same tire size (315/75R16) and both of us aired down to 10 psi. Figure vehicle weights between us were very similar. (he had a lot of crap on board and a diesel engine). He had front and rear air lockers, I have a trutrac/detroit. Very similar and capable vehicles.

Within the first 100 yards there was a drift. The Land Cruiser in front of me slid sideways trying to go thru it and then got stuck. Since there were now tracks going towards the drop off I figured I'd really have problems. Nope. Crawled right thru and there was no slipping to the side.

For the next 6 hours following this guy he was always slipping to the side on off camber sections of the trail. He also got stuck 3 times that day. A 4 door jeep on some Toyo "country" tires got stuck twice. I didn't get stuck or have any issues all day.

After the 3rd time he got stuck I passed him and was behind the Jeep on 40s breaking trail.

The KM3s should not do well in a heavy moisture filled snow but they have proved themselves quite a few times. They don't do well on hardpack snow or ice on the road itself though.

Here was the Jeep getting stuck on Toyos.

I even made it up the other side of this ravine my first try. Didn't think there was a chance...

What is the country of origin on your tires?

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I’ve owned all kinds of tires.Running the STT Pros.So far,so good.They’re popular where I live because of the oilfield,rough rocky caliche roads,or just sharp rocks.Most of the bigger companies run them on company pickups.

The toughest offroad tire I’ve personally used was super swamper trxus mt.They wore well on the hwy to.We’ll see how these STTs hold up in the rocky canyons of the Guadalupe mountains.Will be reporting the results.

I’m running nitto’s ridge grapplers on a 2012 ram diesel.I’ve put 20k on them,all hwy and I can’t tell.(Look new)Very nice tire on the road.Load range F in a 35x12.50 R 18.Great towing tire.That truck doesn’t see more than a dirt road,so I can’t speak to offroad use.

BFG all terrains don’t like age.Will throw the whole belt at 4-5 years.Ran original BFG MTs on a suburban and had great success.Ran toyos all terrains on a k-10 full time 4WD and they was junk.Chipped easily and wore out quickly.Nittos trail grapplers on a 08’ ram 2500 (gas) wore down quickly on the hwy.Same truck with Michelin “elephant” tire ran 60k,sold truck,dude that bought it drove for a couple more years with those tires.

I ruined a set of super swamper tsl in 2 short offroad outings.Soft,chip/chunk easily.

Maybe the info will help others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400