Cooked 700R4 update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
I made a post last month about my 700R4 transmission on my 84 K10 not wanting to shift into 3rd gear. Then on the drive home it started slipping and would barely even drive. Well I've been procrastinating, trying to figure out what to do because they said it was out of warranty, but they "stand behind their work".

I would have just towed it to them, but it's an hour away and the 2 quotes I got to tow it were $350-$400. Which if they refused to fix the transmission would be wasted money, because I'm not paying that shop $1200 again.

Well, I called the shop back and asked them what exactly them standing behind their work meant. He said that since it's out of warranty, but tore up so soon, they would eat all the cost of parts to fix it, but I would have to pay the labor which would be up to $400 but no more.

Sounds great to me! They even gave me the number of a tow truck driver that they use all the time and he will tow the truck for me for $125. He said he had to go up that way anyways and wouldn't charge me for coming up there.

In short I'm pretty happy to be getting my truck back, probably next week.

Should I install a tranny cooler to help keep the fluid cool? I'm thinking the problem was me towing in overdrive cooking it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Went out already? I bet the shop did not do a full rebuild in the first place. yes a cooler helps. Keep us
updated.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I would hope the shop inspects and checks the cooler to make sure it’s not restricted. Does the lockup work? Hopefully the shop makes it right.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Been waiting a year, no response from OP.........

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Make sure the TV cable is adjusted properly. If not, you will be back in the shop soon.

squarelyfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
Get a warranty in writing this time if you didn't last time. Read it and make sure it's specific.

I'd be checking yelp/google reviews to see if they ever did this to other people. I recently had an experience with a non automotive business and wish I had looked them up first! I found a few people saying exactly what happened to me with people playing stupid and trying to steal items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey