converting cargo light to 3rd brake light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My truck doesn't have the cargo light but I've heard of others installing one. I think I could buy one from lmc or somewhere.

Has anyone ever converted them to a third brake light?

I figured if I could candy the clear lens cover red, and get the right bulb in it, couldn't you just run a wire to the rear of the truck and hook it to the taillights?

It wouldn't be a cargo lamp anymore just a brake light.

Ive heard from others who have added a newer third brake lamp from a different car like a nissan...but I want it to look factory.

Any ideas? How cool would it be to have a third brake light? And safer too

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Maybe use a red lamp instead of coloring the lens. Then you could easily go back if you wanted.

I wish I had a clean factory cargo light the chrome on mine is crappy. And an OEM unit (just the middle chrome piece) is $85.

Graystone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You would need a logic switch to make it light up correctly if running the wire to the back of the truck otherwise it would blink with the blinker. It would be easier to run it off the break light switch.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You would need a logic switch to make it light up correctly if running the wire to the back of the truck otherwise it would blink with the blinker. It would be easier to run it off the break light switch.

True. I read that on another thread.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yeah, the power out of the brake switch goes up and enters the multi function switch as a white - pure brake signal only. That signal comes out of the MFS on 2 wires (a yellow & a dk grn) that also carry the directional signal for the appropriate side.

Attachments

• brk sw_4262x3334.jpg
    brk sw_4262x3334.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 126

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78