Convenional vs Synthetic

Conventional or Synthetic

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Can you use diesel oil in a gas engine? Always curious about this....

Good question.

I have used it for years. I just bought a gallon of Delvac 15W-40 at O'Reillys for 13.99. It had a mail in rebate for 7 bucks. So, I paid 1.75 a quart for the stuff. It has zinc in it. Personally, I have never had cam issues, so I don't really worry about that. *That is just my experience, and you guys need to decide for yourself what is safe to use in your motor.* (disclaimer over) Lol In my mind, it's better than the no-name stuff....

I've used Delo, Rotella, and Delvac. Whatever was cheap, (or free). Lol

Last edited:

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
I personally only use Castrol GTX in our vehicles. Castrol GTX Conventional 5w-30 in my 1985 C30 as with a full roller motor I am not concerned with zinc additives or ppm, Castrol GTX High Mileage Synthetic Blend 5w-30 in our 2000 Suburban, and Castrol GTX Conventional 10w-30 in the wife's 1966 Mustang. Have used Castrol for many years now and it has never let me down, I attribute that in part because I change oil and filter every 3000 miles whether it needs it or not!! I'm just old school that way! I believe in preventive maintenance and taking care of our vehicles as we rely on them to take care of us! When I find something that works well for me I stick with it. Sorry for the rambling but am in the process of getting wasted tonight as tomorrow is my B-day, Ya only turn 62 once!

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
they sell 3 gallon boxes of delo 15w-40 at Costco. I stock up when its on sale for $26. my excursion takes 14 quarts per oil change, lol. I also use the Delo in my dirt bikes with wet clutches because it is a good oil without friction modifiers.

I was using mobil 10w-30 synthetic from Costco in the square. they do six quart boxes of that stuff for $23 on sale. I might do 5w-30 on the new motor in the winter.

supposed to get more mpg with a lighter synthetic, as long as your rings still seal well.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I personally only use Castrol GTX in our vehicles. Castrol GTX Conventional 5w-30 in my 1985 C30 as with a full roller motor I am not concerned with zinc additives or ppm, Castrol GTX High Mileage Synthetic Blend 5w-30 in our 2000 Suburban, and Castrol GTX Conventional 10w-30 in the wife's 1966 Mustang. Have used Castrol for many years now and it has never let me down, I attribute that in part because I change oil and filter every 3000 miles whether it needs it or not!! I'm just old school that way! I believe in preventive maintenance and taking care of our vehicles as we rely on them to take care of us! When I find something that works well for me I stick with it. Sorry for the rambling but am in the process of getting wasted tonight as tomorrow is my B-day, Ya only turn 62 once!
Happy Birthday ole man!!!!:cheers:

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Good question.

I have used it for years. I just bought a gallon of Delvac 15W-40 at O'Reillys for 13.99. It had a mail in rebate for 7 bucks. So, I paid 1.75 a quart for the stuff. It has zinc in it. Personally, I have never had cam issues, so I don't really worry about that. *That is just my experience, and you guys need to decide for yourself what is safe to use in your motor.* (disclaimer over) Lol In my mind, it's better than the no-name stuff....

I've used Delo, Rotella, and Delvac. Whatever was cheap, (or free). Lol
I read on a hotrod forum Rotella took down on the zppd quantity. I'll probably ad a quart of Comp zinc additive just to make the engine happy.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'd add 2 quarts, you can never have too much protection.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Does the "new" Delo 400 still have the zinc in it? Used to but with all the new regs with Diesel engines you never know.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Does the "new" Delo 400 still have the zinc in it? Used to but with all the new regs with Diesel engines you never know.
I just ran out of my "old label" delo. I have some boxes of the new stuff with a red cap. I did notice that the service rating was uprated to some new standard. it's now CK-4/SN. I'm not even going to pretend like I know anything about what all of if means so here is a picture of one of the new gallon jugs they sell as a 3 pack at Costco. someone here smarter than myself would probably know.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
How come "new advanced technology" usually means they have totally screwed it up?

morrow07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
1977 - 1989
Truck Model
Cheyenne - V2500
Engine Size
406 - 350
I run Gibbs Driven Hot Rod 10-40 in the 77' with the 406, and the 89' with the TBI

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
I've run diesel oil for years in my older gas engines. It has higher detergent levels and higher zinc than today's oil for gasoline engines.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate

Forum statistics

Threads