Convenional vs Synthetic

Conventional or Synthetic

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
:shrug: So what is your favorite :shrug:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
This ought to be good for a hundred pages, LOL.. I use both just depends on what it's going in..

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
This ought to be good for a hundred pages, LOL.. I use both just depends on what it's going in..

agree. Wifes car synth. My truck GTX high mileage synth blend unless regular GTX is having a super sale then I'll get it.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I won't use syn in the motor, but I use it in the rear end.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Seriously, why use a synthetic in an engine that wasn't designed for it? Closest I'll go is Castrol GTX High Mileage oil for my truck. My bike gets Rotella 15w-40.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Oooo my 3rd post is making a difference in the world!! So if I have a currently synthetic oiled truck (not my choice) and change to conv. will it hurt my favorite (and only) truck? Or is a synthetic blend better?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
It can get very cold here in the winter. Ever try adding a quart of conventional oil when it is -10 degrees? Even at 10 above it pours like honey.
Synthetic will flow right in.

Synthetic for me.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------

This x 1000.

The biggest issue, is whatever you use, always make sure the oil level is full and change it at regular intervals.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I only use synthetic because the Amsoil Z-Rod (high-zinc formula) is synthetic.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Unless you live in a super cold place then a conventional oil should be just fine for one of these old trucks that was designed for conventional oil. Newer cars that require synthetic oil? You should use that!

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Currently running conventional, but considering switching to synthetic when engine gets rebuilt.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Havoline Conventional 10w30 is all I run in mine. Being that the Midwest can't get Chevron Delo except in 5w40 synthetic and 15w40 weights. My dad retired with Chevron and was a chemical/oil engineer for them and helped with the buying of Texaco's oil division. So it's been our families opinion of the best oil for our needs.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hopefully to simply clear the air on synthetics. As long as you have good ring seal and cylinder pressures remain healthy, there is no drawback to using a full synthetic. Once you know the actual differences between that and Dino oil it becomes much easier to decide. The two biggest things to know between the two are:

Film strength and Rate of evaporation.

Dino oil has a film strength (ability to resist being squeezed out from between two metal surfaces i.e. bearing/journal) of 350 psi whereas synthetic such as Mobil 1 and Amsoil is 1200.

Rate of evaporation refers to the temperature at which oil begins to oxidize or breakdown. Dino oil begins to oxidize @ 260F and synthetic @ 600F.

Dino oil is considered a Group III hydrocracked oil and its molecules are all different shapes/sizes. Synthetic is small and uniform in size so it "appears" to cause leaks when in reality you really just need better engine sealing materials.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
So conventional has won me. now what brand? (can't sped a ton of money.) I need something that works in a -15 below weather and in 110 degree weather ( these are at most extreme conditions. and at good price point. thanks.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
So conventional has won me. now what brand? (can't sped a ton of money.) I need something that works in a -15 below weather and in 110 degree weather ( these are at most extreme conditions. and at good price point. thanks.

Some people swear by certain brands of oil... Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, whatever... However, keep in mind that there are only a few companies that actually make the base oils, and while there are different additive packages on different oils, they all meet the requirements, specifications, etc.

As long as you practice regular oil change intervals none of that stuff matters all that much for a naturally aspirated (not turbo/supercharged) daily driven regular vehicle. Whether it says Quaker or Havoline or O'Reilly on the label won't affect you. Go with what's the cheapest and/or on sale and save your money for stuff that's actually important.

Even with my employee discount at O'Reilly auto parts I find that Walmart is still often cheaper for oil. Whether you go for their house brand "Supertech" or a name brand oil that's on sale you can't go wrong with getting oil at Walmart.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg