Complete ReWiring Theory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok, so I have none of the items or truck in front of me so this is all conjecture. I have figured a possible 14+ circuits that could use a relay (just headlamps, PW, PL and dual fans are 10 by themselves). All the relay boxes have fuses with them. Does this make the main fuse panel redundant or un-necessary? Would I use the main fuse panel as a 12V power source or a trigger wire? Seems involving it for 12V goes back to the diminished voltage problem that the relays are employed to correct anyways. I imagine the argument could go both ways. Honestly dunno.

If the relay'd circuits carry their own fuses, then other than the radio, dash lights and running lights/turn signals, not much else I can think of that the main panel is needed for.

Just wunnerin.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Relays get their "trigger" from the original circuit/switch, but draw their load direct from the battery..... that's the general idea at least. The added fuses are generally in line with that feed from batt to relay, since that's where the main load is now.

The fuses in the rest of the circuit, your original fuses, should still be there to protect the rest of the wiring..... although in theory you could de-rate them to a lower amp fuse I suppose, now that those circuits aren't carrying the full load they were originally? There'd be some math involved there though. Probably easier to just leave them as is, since that circuit was originally designed to handle that sort of load anyways?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man