No Horn, Courtesy or Bed light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdJr

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten
Engine Size
350/THM350/3:08Posi
I have read through several threads that are similar but I have a specific question.
You must be registered for see images attach

Where does the power to the circled BAT connections come from? I have no 12V here to power the horn relay (checked it works and the horn button assembly has been rebuilt) Courtesy light (Replaced) or bed light (Switch and Light Replaced) Every other light, lower courtesy light, lighter, radio, all dash lights, clock, exterior lights, etc work. I have continuity in the fuse block from BAT to HORN to TAIL. I've checked the fusible link in the engine compartment. Everything but this circuit is good. Where does it get its power feed from?

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
The one circled and the one above it where the orange wire is plugged in are joined together on the back of the fuse box, and are fed from a common source. They are always hot and protected by a common fusible link. If one is hot and the other not, the problem is on the back of the fuse box. If neither is "hot", recheck the fusible link.. The lighter, courtesy (under dash) lights and dome light are all fed by this circuit. The other items you listed as working are powered by another circuit and have no bearing on the problem. The two most important tools needed when doing electrical work are a factory wiring diagram for the vehicle and a decent voltmeter of some type.

I am compelled to add this disclaimer.. Your truck is over 40 years old.. During its lifetime, if some wannabee electrician got in there and cut, spliced, modified, or just generally hacked up the wiring, all bets are off as to what your problem might be...

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The fuses are powered on one side by a common buss bar. Then the other side of the fuse powers the circuit.

Make sure ALL the fuses are good, and more importantly, none are missing.

Attachments

• IMG_8215.jpeg
    IMG_8215.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1