Column Shifter issuses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79-k10-355

Reaction score
First Name
blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I took the column shifter out and it doesnt go back in. I pulled the pin to the shifter and now it looks like i have to compress a spring. Im just wondering how or if i can put this back in without taking apart the steering column. :help:

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Inside the steering column there's a spring thats set inside an indentation maybe 3/16 of an inch that holds it in place. If you pulled the shifter lever out abruptly the spring might have jumped out of the indentation a little. Try sticking a small flat head screwdriver in there to settle the spring back in its place, but be careful not to dislocate it completely. Once the spring is fully seated, the lever should go in at an angle fairly easy. If you still can't get it in or the spring completely falls out of its socket, then your gonna have to take the column apart.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I got to fix mine too.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
In case you lose it - or you find that it's broken. My shifter arm was sloppy and I found that the spring was cracked. VAL is right, it sets into a recess towards the firewall. Once you have it in the hole carefully insert the square tang of the shifter into the column housing and push forward. The spring depresses and then you can drive the split pin through the shifter/column casing.

This spring is mounted inside the lower shift bowl on vehicles with saginaw design steering columns (round shift bowl) with automatic transmission / column shift lever. Tilt and non-tilt columns utilize this spring to maintain pressure on the shift lever. This spring does NOT fit post 1995 column designs with a 2 piece split plastic cover design.

Many places to order. For example:

http://www.classicparts.com/Steering-Parts/products/388/1/0

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
In case you lose it - or you find that it's broken. My shifter arm was sloppy and I found that the spring was cracked. VAL is right, it sets into a recess towards the firewall. Once you have it in the hole carefully insert the square tang of the shifter into the column housing and push forward. The spring depresses and then you can drive the split pin through the shifter/column casing.

This spring is mounted inside the lower shift bowl on vehicles with saginaw design steering columns (round shift bowl) with automatic transmission / column shift lever. Tilt and non-tilt columns utilize this spring to maintain pressure on the shift lever. This spring does NOT fit post 1995 column designs with a 2 piece split plastic cover design.

Many places to order. For example:

http://www.classicparts.com/Steering-Parts/products/388/1/0

Awesome link man, thanks for sharing!! :) I need that spring too. You see those acrylic shift indicators? :popcorn:

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey