clutch, flywheel,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kylecr

Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
5.0L 305
Hello to all, It is nice to see so many people with the same love for their square bodies as what i do.
So i plan on tackling the task of replacing my flywheel due to my ignorance and the ignorance of a mechanic. My ignorance was due to the fact that i allowed someone to complete a task in which i could have completed myself, replacing the starter. the mechanic which completed this tasked did so without fitting it right and as a result damaged my flywheel.
Though i have completed the task of replacing my clutch before, i did so with a good mechanic and this time i will be doing this on my own for the most part because i cant justify paying someone $500 plus to do so when i would rather learn myself.
So my biggest question as of now is what are the biggest things that i should pay attention to while completing this task.
My pickup is a 1985 chevy, 305, 2wd, 4speed

Thanks for any help

kylecr

Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
5.0L 305
btw I have checked the teeth of both the starter and the flywheel, both had wear. Teeth on flywheel were not completely missing but you could definitely see wear. I have already tried a new starter and this did not work.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So you are going to need a new flywheel then if the teeth are beat up. Been a long, long time since I messed with a clutch install. Make sure you get the alignment tool for the clutch.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Starter rings on the flywheel can be replaced,If You or a friend has a torch to heat the old to remove.heat the new to expand it big enough to get it to slide over the flywheel.
A transmission jack,or a floor jack to lower/raise the transmission.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising