Clocking steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Sure the box hasnt got something pinched between it and the frame? Dunno if it would be enough to cause that much difference tho. Rag joint is keyed(sorta), pitman arm is keyed(sorta)not sure what might cause that.

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Box not centerd before reinstall?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Everything the same. I haven’t done the drag link or tie rod yet. Just hooked it back up the same as it came apart.

When I pulled the steering box I left the pitman arm attached. When I hooked the pitman arm back to the drag link after mounting the steering box, I didn’t need to turn the steering box because the pitman and drag link lined back up...

Besides the drag link, reclocking this splined connection seems to be the only way to change anything...
You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Box is definitely tight to the frame

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I guess I can just drive it first. At least then I can see what direction the wheel is pointed when I’m actually driving straight down the road.

That way I can know exactly how many degrees out I actually am. So far, I’ve just pointed the wheels straight ahead in my gravel without moving forward or backward...

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’ll exhaust all of the suggestions and get it right.

I’d feel kinda like a shmuck rolling into my buddies alignment shop with the steering wheel that out of whack. I’m bringing my new drag link and tie rod in for him to throw on when he aligns it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is where I’m thrown off. Drag link was never adjusted and it was clocked straight before tear down. Wouldn’t adjusting the steering wheel clock through the drag link pull my pitman arm out of that ideal perpendicular position when the wheels are straight forward?
BINGO, there's your problem. I can tell by that new boot and new arm. Adjust it there and you'll be good to go.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
BINGO, there's your problem. I can tell by that new boot and new arm. Adjust it there and you'll be good to go.
Lol. It’s the original drag link, boot, everything. Only the cotter pin is new.

I guess it’s in pretty good shape for it’s age!

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
That pinch bolt/splined connection at the rag jont has a big flat spot that has to line up, so it is "sorta" keyed. Maybe when you drive it, it will be good. Might just look like you have the wheels perfectly straight. Usually takes me trial and error to get just right(shadetree mechanic). :crazy:

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
That pinch bolt/splined connection at the rag jont has a big flat spot that has to lined up, so it is "sorta" keyed. Maybe when you drive it, it will be good. Might just look like you have the wheels perfectly straight. Usually takes me trial and error to get just right(shadetree mechanic). :crazy:
More of a mechanic than I am, though I’m not a very high bar, lol

If that’s keyed too, I guess the only way to make it right if nothing is damaged/bad would be the drag link, as you said.

I guess I’ll get it on the road and see what’s what.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Did the suspension height change? New springs, or something like that? It doesn't take much.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lol. It’s the original drag link, boot, everything. Only the cotter pin is new.

I guess it’s in pretty good shape for it’s age!
You can tell me that all you want and I still won't believe it. Sorry. If that's a current real time pic, Nope, Not buying that for an inth of a second. That is NOT original OEM to that truck. JS

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You can tell me that all you want and I still won't believe it. Sorry. If that's a current real time pic, Nope, Not buying that for an inth of a second. That is NOT original OEM to that truck. JS
Original may not be the right word. It’s the same drag link that’s been on the truck the 10 years I’ve owned it and it definitely did not look new when I bought it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
But then again.... So wtf? Do you even drive that truck? Looking at the pic again, all the components look brand new. Tires, axle, springs, Pitman Arm, even the nuts look brand new. What's the story on that truck? I mean, I'd still find it hard to believe that's the original OEM drag link but still the rest of it looks pretty damn clean too.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Did the suspension height change? New springs, or something like that? It doesn't take much.
Same springs. I did pull all the leaves and sanded/repainted everything. The HD front shackles from ORD apparently lift the front 1/4”. Is that enough?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ