Clock Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How hard is it to install an original type clock into a truck not originally equipped? Just curious what all is involved. I am always thinking of things to do to my truck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like it's as simple as removing the blank plate, installing the clock, and plugging the harness into the fuse box. IIRC, the power plugs into the box and the ground plugs into a factory ground tab.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The wiring is easy enough. The clock does not interface with the instrument PC board. It uses the clips to hold it in place, but that' as far as it goes:

If you find an analog clock it will have 2 wires.

The red/hot wire needs to go to the BAT bank on the fuse block - so the clock is always running, no matter what position the key is in.

The black wire goes to the common ground block - it's right close by and a straight shot.

Fitting a clock into the back of a non-clock cluster isn't so bad either - just need to make enough room for those two wires.

It's the instrument lens that's the problem. You either need to buy one specifically for a clock or carefully drill yours to allow the adjustment rod to pass through.

ThisOldK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350
What about a digital clock?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What about a digital clock?

Can you even buy those little digital clocks anymore? I got one years ago for my old Impala, the dang thing never even kept the right time. The broken factory clock was at least right twice a day.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My dad had installed a digital clock yeeaaars ago. He said it worked for about two years. He never bothered to remove it as he put it down where an A/C duct would have been by the headlight switched. When I put in a different bezel I showed him why it didn't work... all the wires had been cut! He claims he knew nothing about it. I wonder if it would work if I actually had the wires hooked up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88