Cleaning rust/scale out of radiator, OUT of truck...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I think Chengny said to let it sit for a few hours and NOT circulate it. That may have caused the soapy reaction.

K5_489

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
489 BBC
It was foaming _immediately_, as I was pouring it in. I dropped a gallon of water in first, then started pouring the Zep in. I didn't even get a quart of Zep in before I had foam pouring out of the fill hole. I started the pump at that point trying to get it to mix up hoping it would pull the foam down a bit.

But like I said, I started doing all this before I started reading all the replies too, lol.

Bigjake

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra 1500
Engine Size
350 v8
I wonder if you could use hoshizaki lime scale remover. I use it on my commercial ice machines and it gets the crap off the aluminum. Just a thought.

K5_489

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
489 BBC
I wonder if you could use hoshizaki lime scale remover. I use it on my commercial ice machines and it gets the crap off the aluminum. Just a thought.

The what now?

I was actually thinking about this last night too, as the aluminum radiator that I pulled out of the K5 also has some rust in it, as the PO of the K5 also apparently preferred straight tap water to a antifreeze mix, and I know I definitely don't want to dump hydrochloric down that chute, lol.

I have zero intentions of ever putting that radiator back in the K5, but it would make for a handy radiator for the engine test stand...which I was also wishing I had made up as I was attempting to diagnose why the distributor wasn't producing spark last night, and thinking this would have been sooooo much easier to figure out with the engine on a stand rather than in the truck, lol.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
wonder if diluting it with water first before pouring in would have helped? Seeing that picture makes me want to do mine in the spring.

I'll stop by and talk to the radiator shop that's fixed and later modded it to see if they clean them similarly.

K5_489

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
489 BBC
wonder if diluting it with water first before pouring in would have helped?

NEVER NEVER NEVER add water to an acid, ALWAYS add acid to water.

Though the acid concentration in CLR type products is already low, it's still a good habit to be in. Reason being that adding water to an acid causes a chemical reaction that creates heat. On higher acid concentrations, this can be enough heat to immediately cause the water to boil, and thereby cause the acid to splash back up at you.

Going the other way, acid to water, means that the volume of water is usually enough to absorb the heat of the reaction without significantly raising the temperature of the water.

Plus, there was already a gallon of water down in the radiator, so it was getting diluted already :p

Tonyg123

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
Gmc
Engine Size
I usually pull the rad and add vinegar / water solution. Let lay overnight and wash with clean water the next day. Youll be surprise what will come out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl