CLEAN 80s K10 in Seattle for sale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soundmound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I'm right there with you. IDK, if you have seen my threads on it, but I just went though an oil control issue. Long story short my plan always has been to run the 305 until it's done and then swap in something else, most likely a 350. I was ready to pull the trigger, and order a 350 but my engine builder had a 3 month wait. So I ended up doing valve stem seals and an intake gasket to help the 305 out. At the time I was figuring I'd order the 350 in the fall and install it in the winter when the farm is less dependent on the truck. The only trouble is the 305 is now running so darn good. I guess we'll see how I feel come this fall, but I might decide to keep running the 305 for a while. I mean it's still getting the job done!
I do follow your posts being that your are a mechanic, square enthusiast and a neighbor more or less lol. I am real hesitant to pull the emission garbage but my mechanic is insistent it needs to go. I just replaced both tanks, senders, all the rubber lines and cleaned up my grounds. The damn thing starts first whack every time now! It runs a little rough while cold but there a a couple missing vacuum lines from the EGR (which is bypassed) and air valve/pump. I think if the EGR was replaced and those missing lines restored it would be good as new and probably slightly better MPG's than a 350, which right now is welcomed. The weird thing is that now when I turn the key to start it it'll click(rattle) for a bit. I think when I put everything back I hooked up something that was previously disconnected, maybe a valve or heater circuit or something?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I do follow your posts being that your are a mechanic, square enthusiast and a neighbor more or less lol. I am real hesitant to pull the emission garbage but my mechanic is insistent it needs to go. I just replaced both tanks, senders, all the rubber lines and cleaned up my grounds. The damn thing starts first whack every time now! It runs a little rough while cold but there a a couple missing vacuum lines from the EGR (which is bypassed) and air valve/pump. I think if the EGR was replaced and those missing lines restored it would be good as new and probably slightly better MPG's than a 350, which right now is welcomed. The weird thing is that now when I turn the key to start it it'll click(rattle) for a bit. I think when I put everything back I hooked up something that was previously disconnected, maybe a valve or heater circuit or something?
Thanks, There are so many people on the forums it's super easy to miss threads, but like you I try to follow the PNW guys, as best I can anyway.

So my truck 305 / 700R4 3.41 rear gearing I've been wanting to swap to 4.10 or 4.56, but want to get a FF diff, that I just haven't found yet. I was getting about 11 driving the secondary roads to the shop, I hit 16 once driving the freeway at 60, purposely keeping out of the secondaries. Now after the intake work, and getting my EGR and vac advance sorted out I'm getting 13.8 - 14.2 driving to the shop and back. I'm not on the freeway empty long enough or often enough to get a figure for that yet. But yea, since it's like $175 to fill both tanks I sure apricate picking up a few miles per-gallon. I believe it's better than a 350 with 4.10's would get. Heck I do 12 with my injected 96 Grand Cherokee 5.2, so the square is doing better than that now.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
305. Deal killer.
I got a $250 good running 402 out of a 72 C10 that would fix that problem! Lol.
Imo not really buying the engine for a truck like this.
But I agree, it’s probably gotten glossed by a few buyers for the 305.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey now guys I've been running this 305 in my truck and overall it's been good to me. Would I like a 350 sure, but I've hauled a lot of loads with the 305 and it's taken me to the shop and back many a time. So for me a 305 is not a deal breaker at all. It's a fine engine just a little slower and a little more finicky about stuff like timing.

And, now, that little mouse motor will probably outlast all of us now that it’s not inhaling oil!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
And, now, that little mouse motor will probably outlast all of us now that it’s not inhaling oil!
And we shall see, been doin' great so far. Got to drive the truck up to Bow, Wa on Sunday for a feed load, unfortunately he's been having trouble getting a good supply so it will be a much smaller load than I'd like, but it'll enough for a while anyway. Bow is up near Bay View state park which is basically on the opposite side of Padilla bay from Anacortes. I always make time to have lunch at Bay View STPK and look at the water. It's almost 100 miles one way, so it'll be a good freeway run.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Nothing wrong with the 305, just a bit doggy. Removing a cat & running a set of good flowing duals makes a huge diff. Had an '86 Monte SS with the HO 305 that ran pretty damn good. Hell , I passed on buying several of the turbo 6 banger GN's because of that V-8 power! (IDIOT!!!!)

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nothing wrong with the 305, just a bit doggy. Removing a cat & running a set of good flowing duals makes a huge diff. Had an '86 Monte SS with the HO 305 that ran pretty damn good. Hell , I passed on buying several of the turbo 6 banger GN's because of that V-8 power! (IDIOT!!!!)
Lol…I passed on several GNs and had a Monte SS when I was a teenager too.
But it was t for the V8 power of the mighty HO305, lol!

Although, to be fair, it was crisp and peppy for a 305 in a big car. But it still get slapped by any run of the mill Fox body 5.0.
But was an awesome car. First American made boat that I drove that actually handled well.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Although, to be fair, it was crisp and peppy for a 305 in a big car. But it still get slapped by any run of the mill Fox body 5.0.
But was an awesome car. First American made boat that I drove that actually handled well.
This is the first 305 I've owned. I guess for me it seems peppy enough during normal part throttle driving, it's when you hammer down the power just isn't there. I'm guessing that's an effect of GM's head / valve choice.

Back in the day I had an 1988 Olds 88 with the 3.8L, that thing would fly.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size

No car had the body lines of the Monte, that was my big attraction! In fact, I still want an '88 Aerocoupe, T-top, buckets car.

Soundmound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
My first car was an '86 Monte Carlo LS with the smooth headlights onto which I immediately swapped an SS trunk lid lol. White with the blue velour interior. Loved that car even with the 4.3......

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
A clean G-Body with solid rear frame sections and floors is darn near impossible in the north east. Of course, the good ones demand a very high premium.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No car had the body lines of the Monte, that was my big attraction! In fact, I still want an '88 Aerocoupe, T-top, buckets car.
Agreed. But the simple fact I couldn’t afford a Grand National even back then was why I had a Monte Carlo!

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Agreed. But the simple fact I couldn’t afford a Grand National even back then was why I had a Monte Carlo!
Back in '89 when I bought my SS, the GN's were essential the same price. I remember them being about $3,800-$4,200 all day long. I just didn't want a V-6 and thought the Monte's looked better. I wish I would have bought 3 Buicks now!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Back in '89 when I bought my SS, the GN's were essential the same price. I remember them being about $3,800-$4,200 all day long. I just didn't want a V-6 and thought the Monte's looked better. I wish I would have bought 3 Buicks now!
Right?
I bought my 86 SS in 90?
And in the Chicago area, SSs were around $4k. I recall giving that much for mine with about 60k miles. Grand Nationals were about double, already.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii