Choosing engine for future flip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a 76 K10 shortbed fleetside with a 350, TH 350 and NP203. I need engine work and I would like to upgrade to a 4sp auto. My plan is to eventually flip the truck. Which option would bring me the most value when selling: building the original 350 for torque or getting a big block?

My plan is to get 4:10 gears and a built 700R4.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Hmm, I think the big-block would have the most appeal to the majority of people. My only concern is a healthy big-block would be pushing the limits of a 700r4 and stock axles. But I spose if you drove it keeping that in mind it would probably last alright. Maybe someone will add in on how the drive train would hold up to a big-block, most my knowledge is th400 and 14 bolt since that's what I have.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You'd have to build a late model 700R4/4L60 to handle big block power. A stock one would probably say goodnight before you could get the truck out the door, and I wouldn't fool with a pre-1987 one either when you can just as easily find one that's newer. It's best to rebuild and upgrade a 700R4 if you're putting any kind of upgraded motor in there. If it were me, I'd work with the motor I already have to keep costs down. You could work on acquiring your new trans and getting rid of the old one, and I don't know about that NP203. I'd convert it to part-time or put a different one in there depending on what prices you come up with. That would be a desirable truck for me.

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm trying to evaluate whether it would be worth it to go with a big block for resale. I did install the part time kit in the TC and installed hubs too. I have an engine recipe in mind if I stayed with the small block. I estimate it would cost about $3500. A big block would be about twice that plus the essentials. I just don't know what values people are seeing when selling modded big block trucks compared to modded small block trucks.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
You would shot yourself in the foot, if you build a BB for it. I would build a nice small block, have a TH400 built, and sick with the 203. If you are not building it for yourself why waste the money and time. You will get people that will love the BB but will complain about the gas mileage. You'll get more people looking at it if you have a nice 350. It's like flipping a house, you don't build it for you, you build it nice but generic. That's my 2 cents. You will always have lowballers no matter what you do with it. Just remember, don't rip their head off when the offer you 2500, when your asking 5000. "Because that's all the truck is worth" Yeah I almost went to jail that day....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I have a 76 K10 shortbed fleetside with a 350, TH 350 and NP203. I need engine work and I would like to upgrade to a 4sp auto. My plan is to eventually flip the truck. Which option would bring me the most value when selling: building the original 350 for torque or getting a big block?

My plan is to get 4:10 gears and a built 700R4.

For carb setup
Sell the stock block to someone wanting a truck block. Go find yourself a tbi 350 from a camaro/firebird/caprice,roadmaster etc. These are roller cam engines with mechanical fuel pump boss, the tbi heads make great low end power and can be replaced if you want higher rpm capabilities.

For efi
LS swap or 96-02 454 Vortec/4l80e and 0411 ec, swap.

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Would a 350 TBI with a 700R4 out of a 1992 K1500 blazer work as a starting point?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I didnt know it was possible to make money off these trucks!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You'd still need a transfer case. I guess it all depends on who your target demographic is for resale. Like what was mentioned above, keeping it simple and generic will appeal to a wider audience. I think it would be fair to generalize that a lot of the members here, would rather start with a basic truck, and modify it to their specs. Personally, I prefer to start with something that is original as possible. That way I don't have to spend as much time scrutinizing someone else's work. Imo, save yourself some time and money, and just recondition what's there. Make it as clean as possible.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you're going to flip it, I'd suggest spending the minimum amount of money possible. I can't see any way to recover 100% of what you would spend on a different engine and trans. Even a TH350 to 700R4 swap will nickel & dime you to death (T/C lockup control, shorter driveshaft, TV cable, relocate crossmember, gear indicator, etc.) A buddy if mine did the swap and even had to re-do sections of his exhaust pipes after moving the crossmember rearwards.

I'd do only what's needed to get the truck running & driving reliably, and then put some time into appearance items. Make the paint and chrome look as good as possible, clean the engine compartment, scrub the wheels & tires, etc. First impressions are everything!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512