Chevy 350 engine crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

labbetheking

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hi there! I'm from Sweden just bought my first pickup and it's a c10 1978 longbed. Will arrive in about 2 months.
My plan was to put together a nice engine that i've had laying around for a while. Got some trickflow 195cc aluheads aswell.

The thing is that's it's a crack in it that's been fixed and i've contacted the seller and he says it wasn't a problem while he had that engine in his car(with the crack).

What u guys think? shall i be worried? the comp ratio will go up considerably with the TF heads.

Attachments

• DSC_0506.jpg
    DSC_0506.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 90

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I'm guessing from the image above that the repair is in this area:

You must be registered for see images attach

If so, I'd say go for it. The weld is on the outside of an internal coolant passage and was probably just to repair a coolant leak - due to a bad casting.

Compression ratio is not a consideration. The other side of the welded area does not form part of the combustion space wall. The only pressure that weld will ever see is 15 psi (normal coolant pressure at operating temperature).

labbetheking

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Think the crack is slightly more to the left but just about right!.
Doesn't feel quite allright building a new engine with that crack in mind but thanks for the answer!

I need to think about it :)

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
When you take the heads off you will be able to better see the extent of the internal damage. If any!

Im with Jerry on this one unless the crack extends further on the inside. which is doubtful.

You might want to check the deck height for trueness though.

labbetheking

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yeah you are absolutely right i will do that before i make any conclusions!
Thx!

:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceyman72