Check engine light after replacing gauges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89k5Blazer

Reaction score
First Name
Meg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
V8
I just replaced my temperature gauge and fuel gage in my cluster, reconnected the bezel and drove a couple miles to fill with gas to make sure all my gauges were working. My check engine light just came on. I did replace a few fuses. Everything seems to be working the only thing that is disconnected is my stereo as I will be replacing it. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? I’m not sure where to start...

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Go to a AutoZone or advance auto and have them pull the code with a scan tool. Then you will have an idea of where to start looking for the problem

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Go to a AutoZone or advance auto and have them pull the code with a scan tool. Then you will have an idea of where to start looking for the problem

Can they do that for OBD 1 ?

If an 89 has that - my 91 had a diagnostic connector that I used a paper clip to connect the test terminals, but would be lying to tell you which terminals they were.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Terminal A and B.
You must be registered for see images attach

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
x2, use a jumper wire and count the number of times the light flashes.
usually a 2 digit number. You will need to count the first number than the second number. IIRC it cycles 3 times.

89k5Blazer

Reaction score
First Name
Meg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
V8
Yes my 89Blazer does have that. I will definitely give it a try. Thank you!

89k5Blazer

Reaction score
First Name
Meg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
V8
Obd1 code 24- vehicle speed sensor error . So I replaced my fuel and temp gauges and replaced my printed circuit board. Reconnected my speedometer cable but I did not connect my cruise control to the back of my speedometer as it didn’t work when I purchased the vehicle. Could this be why I am getting a code 24?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Obd1 code 24- vehicle speed sensor error . So I replaced my fuel and temp gauges and replaced my printed circuit board. Reconnected my speedometer cable but I did not connect my cruise control to the back of my speedometer as it didn’t work when I purchased the vehicle. Could this be why I am getting a code 24?

What do you mean you didn't reconnect your "cruise control" to the back of the speedo? There should be an optical sensor back there that sends a pulse signal to your TBI computer as the VSS signal. If you didn't reconnect that... that would be your problem

89k5Blazer

Reaction score
First Name
Meg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
V8
It wasn’t connected to my speedometer so I didn’t reconnect it... that was my first thought when I got the code. I just wasn’t sure if I should reconnect it since it was already disconnected. I have the original owners information stating it did not work and was disconnected. ****, it looks like I have to pull out my gauge cluster again. I’m not a mechanic by any means and it’s my first attempt at this so I only connected what I disconnected... there’s no screw to even connect it to the speedometer but that’s easy enough to get. Thanks for the info. This forum has been insanely helpful

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It wasn’t connected to my speedometer so I didn’t reconnect it... that was my first thought when I got the code. I just wasn’t sure if I should reconnect it since it was already disconnected. I have the original owners information stating it did not work and was disconnected. ****, it looks like I have to pull out my gauge cluster again. I’m not a mechanic by any means and it’s my first attempt at this so I only connected what I disconnected... there’s no screw to even connect it to the speedometer but that’s easy enough to get. Thanks for the info. This forum has been insanely helpful

You can buy a replacement module new for around $50 I think. It might not have worked because of the same issues you just corrected. I would connect it and see if the code goes away and the cruise control works now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising