Change your throttle cable. Makes a big difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Cable worked better on the furd, there is enough of a loop that even if I break another mount, throttle is still okay. Soon as I get my K30 put together, I can get the damn Ford out of here.
Curious the same as Arkansas_v8 about what vibes you get if any.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I’m sure if you had a balanced engine that would be hardly noticeable.

It’s kind of hard for me to judge since I have poly body mounts, suspension, and motor and trans mounts.

Compared to my other squares it’s noticeable. It might get annoying to some but I’d rather have strength over total comfort. It really isn’t too bad though.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I’m sure if you had a balanced engine that would be hardly noticeable.

It’s kind of hard for me to judge since I have poly body mounts, suspension, and motor and trans mounts.

Compared to my other squares it’s noticeable. It might get annoying to some but I’d rather have strength over total comfort. It really isn’t too bad though.

I want the mounts. I have all ORD greasable suspension.

Figure the poly tranny mount is a must? Makes sense because wouldn't it then become the pivot if it was still the weaker rubber.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I want the mounts. I have all ORD greasable suspension.

Figure the poly tranny mount is a must? Makes sense because wouldn't it then become the pivot if it was still the weaker rubber.
I just did it to have matching materials but I don’t think it would cause much of an issue. It would definitely be the weak point and could possibly wear out faster than it normally would.

These are the ORD mounts, I didn’t clear that up lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not to dampen enthusiasm, but I really don't like manual linkage. Little story to go with that, keep in mind, this has happened twice since I've had the truck. 7 years ago, I bought my '73 F250 highboy plow truck, manual linkage to the carb and for the clutch...hell, even the steering is manual, lol. Anyways, I plow with chains on all 4, downside of that is that as much torque ends up back through everything, it seems motor mounts are the weak spot. First time I broke a motor mount while plowing, it was drivers side, so motor torques over to the passenger side pulling my manual throttle linkage and going wide open throttle, at the same time it pulled the clutch linkage out of the socket so pushing in the clutch wasn't happening either. When this happened, I was 25' in front of my shop plowing towards the door with my boy standing in front of the door. Drum brakes full of melted snow don't help stop very well either and took another full second of panic before I twisted the key off in the switch and got the damn thing stopped.
Second time it happened, I was at least wise to what was happening, but still makes for a few very exciting seconds.
Had the same happen to me in the 64 GMC one time. I nailed it and torque it up real good, whith throttle full at the time, then the engine moved around, it was kinda like a cantalever and bound up the linkage. The one advantage though to manual linkage that you don't have with a cable, is I was able to reach down and pull the skinny pedal back up. It was tough but I got it. Didn't quite ****'em but almost, and still had to go wipe the ass juice. My next move was going for the kill switch.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
As said above, and you just can’t panic, make it second nature to know what to do and not panic

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Also if your carb is gummed up or likes to stick you can pull back on the pedal with a mechanical linkage.

Not to mention it’s the best throttle feel I’ve ever felt, it can’t be beat, with a brand new carb and a mechanical linkage the throttle feel and response is amazing.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The farm life has me trained for these situations lol. Grain trucks with little to no brakes? It's fine! Go filler up in the field and run her back up here down the road and dump her, you'll get the hang of it! Classic old farmer line. You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

Small town shops also help with this as grain trucks come in before harvest for maintenance with no brakes(always) had a few butt clenchers, some panic moments, but after the first few I had it down like it was nothin.

Oh and old Volkswagens bugs and spray coupes, every time one came in the shop it was a guaranteed 1000 dollars without even looking at it. Every one came in with no brakes or very bad brakes. And we had ALOT of Volkswagens come in, so everyone of them was a big game of what can I destroy in less that a second lololol

Last edited:

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Back in the day GM came out with interlocking motor mounts. Also GM had a cable setup to prevent motor from lifting with a broken mount.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I need to replace my throttle cable too. Had it stick wide open the other day. Luckily I was parked in the driveway when it happened. Was only trying get the fast idle to drop down. The engine sounded like it was about to blow.
I replaced mine the first year I had my truck. I replaced it because it stuck about half to 3/4 while I was driving down the highway and headed into a corner!! I did the same thing as the other guy, after about a second of panic, I put it into neutral and turned the key off and coasted to a stop at a suitable pulloff. I messed with it and figured it was a stuck cable. I pushed the carb closed and limped the fee miles back home useing little throttle to not get to the sticking point. Went to AutoZone and purchased the new cable for like $15 or whatever and have been good for the last 14 years or so.

So this is actually good preventive maintenance to do, before this happens to you and you may not be able to afford that few seconds it takes you to react to what's happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1