Ceramic front brake pads, or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I've got some wierd wirrrring/scraping noise coming from left front wheel that goes away with a light touch of the brake pedal. The front semi-metallic pads (the nicest versions NAPA sells) are wearing funny and need to be replaced. Hoses are new and calipers are rebuilts from NAPA that I installed about 3 years ago when I did the hoses all the way around, and the new front pads.

So I'm considering a set of ceramics this time. Pros/cons? I've got a set on our '95 Audi A6 Wagon, and other than the really heavy black dusting, I like them.

Should I go with a set of ceramics on the 'burb?

BTW, can't wait to find out what's causing the friggin' noise. It's worse when I'm towing the camp trailer and makes the same noise whether I'm idling along, or going 60mph. Gets worse in right turns. Ooooooh, wonder if it's a wheel bearing (they're about 2 years old).

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
check the front pads proably hitting the wear tab, nothing wrong with caramics on a truck

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I always thought it was the organics and metallic/semi-metallic that dusted really bad, and that ceramics did a little better job at controlling the dust? At least that's what I noticed with the Tacoma I had. Maybe check out the vendor we have here for brakes, I bet he would know!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That noise you are experiencing is exactly what my truck has been doing for 2 years now. Its driving me nuts, wont stop. I have replaced wheel bearings, pads and even the whole caliper.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Well, I'll let you know what I find. It started about a year or so ago, really light at first, and only after a few hours on the road. A light touch of the break pedal would immediately make it go away, but a few moments later, it would return. But it sounded like it was the rear left, so that's where I kept looking......never finding anything.

It's gotten really bad now, and this weekend, while idling through a camp ground with the camper hitched up, it was really doing it bad....like "Look at the junk I'm driving" bad. So I had my wife drive and I got out and walked next to the truck. Definately the left front and as she gave right steering input, it was get much worse.

I'm hoping to tear the right side apart today and look. I'll report back...w/ pics.

Re: dusting, I'd always heard the same, that the ceramics don't as bad. But the expensive set I have on our Audi dust like crazy. It doesn't stick to the wheels as bad, and you can just hose 80% of it right off, but after about a week, it looks like the front wheels haven't been washed in a year.

UPDATE:
Just jacked up the right front and gave the wheel a little up and down movement. The wheel bearings are very loose. Like 1/4" of slop in the tire, loose. There is just a slight creaking nose when the wheel is shaken. I think I fouind the problem. Either a bearing has failed, or I did a bad install.

Okay....it's apart and it looks like a poor install on me:shitsweak:

There are 2 thick threaded collars inside, one is against the bearings and sets the tension, then a special washer with holes that engage a pin sticking out of that collar. Then a 2nd threaded collar is tightened against the special washer, to lock the bearing tension. Looks like I didn't properly tighten that 2nd collar, so it backed out, and then the 1st collar backed out.....and the bearing tension became loose.

Just picked up the proper 4 pronged socket at NAPA, so maybe I'll do it right this 2nd time around.

The brake pads were down to less than 1/8" of material and the wear sensor is shiny from touching.

Going back together with it now, and then will take apart the other side completely and check my bearing tension and lock down collar #2 with this new socket.

Last edited:

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
All back together and both sides bearing play adjusted and tightened properly.

Perfectly quiet on the test drive.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Glad you got it figured out!

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
How did you do it the first time without the spanner nut socket?? Glad you got er fingered out!! :waytogo:

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
How did you do it the first time without the spanner nut socket??

I'm embarrassed to say, I don't know. I don't see how I could have even gotten the 2nd collar loose w/o the 4pin socket. I'm guessing that the 2nd collar may have already been loose, and I just put it back together the way I found it. Pretty ****** work, is about all I can say.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That's alright though, you learned and advanced your abilities! :waytogo:

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
The day I stop learning.....and having a willingness to learn.....is the first day of my dirt nap.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Glad to hear you got it figured out. I hate for my old vehicles to make any squeaks or rattles cause I feel like people think I'm driving a pos.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Glad to hear you got it figured out. I hate for my old vehicles to make any squeaks or rattles cause I feel like people think I'm driving a pos.

You and me both brother!

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
A quick update.

Ceramics brake pads did not work for me while towing and I nearly lost all braking ability in the mountains this past weekend. They'd been fine locally, but as soon as they got some load and heat put on them, the pedal was literally on the floor when I pulled over and got us stopped.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Makes me wonder if drilled rotors to help keep the pads cooler would have made a difference. Not so sure I want to the guy to test that issue to find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade