Catch Cans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I noticed a couple guys were talking of getting a catch can - but there was no follow up. Did anyone here ever get one and how did you plumb it for 2 heads?

I used to put these in turbo 4 bangers all day and loved them. Just not sure about the V-8......a Tee from both heads to the one can? What about the return? Did you use the breather holes in the valve covers? If so, where did you find the correct size fittings? My covers have these really cheap looking baffles for the breather....have little interest in using them if I dont have to.

I have alot of this small loose ends stuff I'm trying to get out of the way with semi-decent weather.

THX

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Slightly off topic.
I have one of those Amazon specials on my woodchipper. If installed on something that vibrates, the mounting bracket breaks at the 90-degree bend. I made a new one with steel and all is well. (Sadly, I did not notice any performance gains from the red color)

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Running one connected on output of pcv valve.
You must be registered for see images attach

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Does anyone think the (cheap) baffles that go in the valve covers for the breathers or catch can plumbing are even necessary?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Depends on the engine. I get some oil in the catch can. On burban mostly because valve covers are spliced from two and relatively large ring gap(for boost)

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They make a 'baffled' grommet as well - might go that way.

A few years ago I was building a 'special' 4cyl turbo and made a large catch can out of aluminum.....the same size as a vapor canister so I could mount it with an existing bracket. I made 2 (maybe 3?) of them at the time.....one is going on this truck. There's a ball valve on the bottom for easy draining. Best plumbing diagram I could find for a V8 was both heads go back to the can and then a single line from the can to the intake.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I am running efi with maf. After the maf, line goes to one of the valve covers then goes out from other side with pcv valve in to a catch can. From there to intake manifold.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Running one connected on output of pcv valve.
What engine/heads are those? I'm looking at replacing my catch can cuz all I'm see is oil in mine. It's the 'el Cheapo model.

When I first did the LS swap, I would have like an off white thick oil in the container. Of course I did the "add 7 holes" along the baffles. This may be why the change.

I'm thinking about upgrading the valley pan to change the pcv system. As far as intel, all I'm seeing on the web could be considered here say, and of course different vendors reasons/explanation why you need to spend $200+ for their system (Mighty Mouse for one).

Hard to tell how the cans actually work w/o taking one apart. Personally, I'd like to have a different vacuum source instead of the engines.....just a thought there.

Thanks @Doppleganger for bringing it up.

Last edited:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What engine/heads are those? I'm looking at replacing my catch can cuz all I'm see is oil in mine. It's the 'el Cheapo model.

When I first did the LS swap, I would have like an off white thick oil in the container. Of course I did the "add 7 holes" along the baffles. This may be why the change.

I'm thinking about upgrading the valley pan to change the pcv system. As far as intel, all I'm seeing on the web could be considered here say, and of course different vendors reasons/explanation why you need to spend $200+ for their system (Mighty Mouse for one).

Hard to tell how the cans actually work w/o taking one apart. Personally, I'd like to have a different vacuum source instead of the engines.....just a thought there.

Here's a crude drawing, but you'll get the point. I made mine and use copper chore-boys for the filter part.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad

That is 8.0l bbc with brodix race rite heads. I am also running a pcv valve with check valve from a turbo solstice. Were left over parts from when I sold that one.

Toad455

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I noticed a couple guys were talking of getting a catch can - but there was no follow up. Did anyone here ever get one and how did you plumb it for 2 heads?

I used to put these in turbo 4 bangers all day and loved them. Just not sure about the V-8......a Tee from both heads to the one can? What about the return? Did you use the breather holes in the valve covers? If so, where did you find the correct size fittings? My covers have these really cheap looking baffles for the breather....have little interest in using them if I dont have to.

I have alot of this small loose ends stuff I'm trying to get out of the way with semi-decent weather.

THX
Not sure about plumbing on the LS engines, I'll be doing one on a 6.0 soon. But I have two Hemi trucks that have the cans and I get about one ounce every oil change at 5k miles. I'd say they are worth having. Sorry I'm not any help to your question though.

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size

Attachments