Catalytic Converter Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tuberbob

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I am going to get some pics of my truck, because in the thread I started, the info I learned leads me to believe that what I believed was a modified vehicle may in fact be completely stock. I will do my best to photograph the entire emissions/exhaust system, because I am burning with curiosity to know what I have here. If it helps, I can also post the VIN.

I will return shortly with pics.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I wonder if because of the A.I.R systems on our trucks that connect to the manifolds is what feeds the extra 02 to the three way cats rather than a tube run down to the cat itself????

Genrally, the air injected at the manifolds is for open loop operation only (at least the ports upstream from the O2 sensor), primarily for the control of HC and CO after start up. The converter only gets air injection (if so equipped) when the engine is warm. During deceleration, a hot idle, or under an overheat condition (or close to one), the system will divert to the air cleaner to prevent exhaust back fires or overheat of the catalytic converter.

As vehicles got more sophisticated, i.e. fuel injection, the need for extra air to the converter does go away. I sometimes forget that there are Squarebodies after '87 that are more advanced. Mine is so much like an antique from the 60s.

tuberbob

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Posted in my thread as well, but for anyone interested, here are pics of my emissions/exhaust system. Everything appears to be stock to my untrained eye.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrianGarf