Carburetor issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
I have a 86 C10 with a 305 and a stock 4 barrel Quadrajet and the PO removed all of the emission parts. I'm getting terrible gas mileage and it's not running right. I was going to rebuild the carb but realized it's probably the electronic metering solenoid on the carb that's not working because even the map sensor was removed. Do I need to change the carburetor to one without that solenoid? I think 1980 was the last year not to have that. Any advice is appreciated, if I can keep the carb I have that would be great but it's not looking to promising.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My '84 C10 was non-electric. My 86's were not electric either, but they were 3/4 ton with less emissions. I personally would install a good ol standard Quadrajet rather than installing the map sensor and all that.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
My '84 C10 was non-electric. My 86's were not electric either, but they were 3/4 ton with less emissions. I personally would install a good ol standard Quadrajet rather than installing the map sensor and all that.

I agree, go with an older Quadrajet without all that crap.

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
Thanks for the replies, that's what I was thinking. I want to stay with a Quadrajet carburetor so I'll have to buy one without the electronics. (Update) I spoke to a company that rebuilds carburetors and he said the could block off that metering solenoid so it's non-functioning. So I'll probably buy a rebuilt carburetor from them that has the solenoid blocked off or he said I could go with a non-electric carb too.

Last edited:

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I would suggest a non electronic replacement. I have plenty of cores to build from if you are interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly