Carbureted Big Block Supercharger CALIFORNIA?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I'm eyeing an 85 GMC Suburban High Sierra 2500 454... any California CARB compliant supercharger kits with EO numbers that will let me pass smog? I looked online and didn't have much luck. Thanks!

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Why a supercharger? There are other boost methods that are Cali legal. Namely Turbo. How much boost you trying to get?

IIRC, if you have the Heavier duty 2500 aka 3/4 ton, it does not have the A.I.R. pump does it? Pretty sure you're still exempt from Cat Converters too.

Ideally, what you need to find is square that was originally OEM 5.7 Olds Diesel, or 6.2. Totally 100% exempt, designated by the VIN # and the Diesel engine.

This is the only reason I hold onto my 85 K10 that's getting K20 springs and axles. Should I ever decide to move back to Cali, that bitch is 100% exempt from smog and I intend to have the smoggiest damn motor and big cam I can put in it, just cuz I can.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Why a supercharger? There are other boost methods that are Cali legal. Namely Turbo. How much boost you trying to get?

IIRC, if you have the Heavier duty 2500 aka 3/4 ton, it does not have the A.I.R. pump does it? Pretty sure you're still exempt from Cat Converters too.

Ideally, what you need to find is square that was originally OEM 5.7 Olds Diesel, or 6.2. Totally 100% exempt, designated by the VIN # and the Diesel engine.

This is the only reason I hold onto my 85 K10 that's getting K20 springs and axles. Should I ever decide to move back to Cali, that bitch is 100% exempt from smog and I intend to have the smoggiest damn motor and big cam I can put in it, just cuz I can.

Well, that's true... I'm not really set on a supercharger. I just want to add some power to the stock engine, and that seemed like the easiest way.

My 83 C20 5.7L V8 didn't have cats which was one of the reasons I bought it. I prefer dogs ;) It seemed to have OK power I could just not keep the truck at the time.

I feel like an engine swap is outside of my skills and how much effort I want to put in. I would have to have a shop do all major work as I don't have my office anymore where I could leave stuff in the parking lot and work on it - I can't work on it at my apartment so an engine swap is a no-no.

Is there a turbo kit I could put on a carbed 454 that would let me pass smog? If so, I'd consider that. I don't NEED more power but just want that big old beast to be a bit more fun if I buy it :D

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
To be honest, if you really want to wake up a 454, swap out the heads and get rid of the Peanut Port low compression heads. You do a head swap, like something off maybe a 396 late 60's early 70's or 402, 427 heads, anything that's not peanut ports, an RV cam that should still pass smog, and aftermarket dual plane intake, you'll have enough power to have some fun. The peanut port heads in the 80's are the biggest bottleneck of the big blocks. They just don't breathe after 4000 rpm.

But I'd imagine yes, there are Turbo kits out there, just that again, the peanut ports aren't going to allow you to take much advantage of the boost.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Will those heads need any modification to fit on the 454 block? Do I have to change any other parts beyond the heads and intake? Do I keep the same carburetor? Will all the smog BS attach? Thanks :)

Edit: so this kind of stuff? Seems cheaper than a super/turbo charger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-427-454-RV-Torque-Camshaft-Cam-kit-lifters-/190327909744

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-72-BBC...Port-Cylinder-Heads-6272292-292-/330931779224

I am having a hard time finding an intake that says it's CARB compliant.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Will those heads need any modification to fit on the 454 block? Do I have to change any other parts beyond the heads and intake? Do I keep the same carburetor? Will all the smog BS attach? Thanks :)

Edit: so this kind of stuff? Seems cheaper than a super/turbo charger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-427-454-RV-Torque-Camshaft-Cam-kit-lifters-/190327909744

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-72-BBC...Port-Cylinder-Heads-6272292-292-/330931779224

I am having a hard time finding an intake that says it's CARB compliant.

Exactly. Now you see what I'm steppin' in. By doing this stuff FIRST, it's cheaper and you're getting rid of the bottleneck that you'll run into with a Turbo, Charger, NOS and any other booster. The good news is after you do these cheaper things, you'll have plenty of power to play. And when you feel the need, you can always still add the boost later. So if you do intend to do such a thing, then choose a cam grind that works well with a Turbo or Charger so you're already good to go when you decide to pull the trigger on the boost.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Exactly. Now you see what I'm steppin' in. By doing this stuff FIRST, it's cheaper and you're getting rid of the bottleneck that you'll run into with a Turbo, Charger, NOS and any other booster. The good news is after you do these cheaper things, you'll have plenty of power to play. And when you feel the need, you can always still add the boost later. So if you do intend to do such a thing, then choose a cam grind that works well with a Turbo or Charger so you're already good to go when you decide to pull the trigger on the boost.

How do you always make so much sense? I'm all over the place yet you always are very relaxed and have a better suggestion :)

I'll try to update this thread if I get that Suburban (or any other carbureted 454 square) and then will make an exact parts list. You are right that it's silly to spend thousands on adding boost when the foundation isn't there. And I'll probably find it has plenty of power that way anyway without a turbo or supercharger. Thanks!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
To be honest, if you really want to wake up a 454, swap out the heads and get rid of the Peanut Port low compression heads. You do a head swap, like something off maybe a 396 late 60's early 70's or 402, 427 heads, anything that's not peanut ports, an RV cam that should still pass smog, and aftermarket dual plane intake, you'll have enough power to have some fun.
For sure there are lots of simple and relatively inexpensive ways to wake up a stock 454 w/o going to forced induction. I guess the key is passing a CA smog test. You might want to check with speed shops, etc. to determine which aftermarket components are CARB approved.

And don't forget about the exhaust system. There's cheap power to be found with free flowing mufflers & pipes (and cats?). I once had a 307 with a stock exhaust system and a fairly new stock muffler. I went from that to a 2" dual system with generic turbo mufflers. I gotta tell you it felt like a 350 after that. More power everywhere and quicker to rev. Of course now I'd use a 2-1/4" or 2-1/2" system, and your 454 would like 2-1/2" or maybe 3". Heck, even if CA standards won't let you add duals, there are some 3" single exhaust systems I've seen, at least for 73-87 small blocks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising