carb upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nataca

Reaction score
First Name
nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 scotsdale
Engine Size
I have a 1984 with a 350. I went from a rochester with electric choke to an edelbrock with electric choke. With the new carb in place the thing located on the mounting surface in the picture wont fit. It never had any thing connected to it. So my question is can i just block it off and if so whats it called so i can get a block off plate. Thanks

Attachments

• 20131115_190152.jpg
    20131115_190152.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 134

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That should be your EGR valve provision.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here is a write up on what it does. A lot of people block them off. It may give you a small increase in power because of blocking extra heat from entering the intake. Cooler air is denser creating more power.

When combustion temperatures exceed 2500 degree F., atmospheric nitrogen begins to react with oxygen during combustion. The result is various compounds called nitrogen oxides (NOX), which play a major role in urban air pollution. To reduce the formation of NOX, combustion temperatures must be kept below the NOX threshold. This is done by recirculating a small amount of exhaust through the "exhaust gas recirculation," or EGR. valve.

The EGR valve controls a small passageway between the intake and exhaust manifolds. When the valve opens, intake vacuum draws exhaust through the valve. This dilutes the incoming air/fuel mixture and has a quenching effect on combustion temperatures which keeps NOX within acceptable limits. As an added benefit, it also reduces the engine's octane requirements which lessens the danger of detonation (spark knock).

The EGR valve consists of a poppet valve and a vacuum diaphragm. When vacuum is applied to the EGR valve diaphragm, it pulls the valve open allowing exhaust to pass from the exhaust manifold into the intake manifold. Some engines have "positive backpressure" EGR valves, while others have "negative backpressure" EGR valves. Both types contain a second diaphragm that modulates the action of the valve. This prevents the valve from opening unless there is a certain level of exhaust backpressure in the system. EGR valves are calibrated for specific engine applications. The wrong valve may flow too much or not enough exhaust and cause emission, driveability and detonation problems.

EGR valves do not normally require maintenance or replacement for preventative maintenance. But the valve can become clogged with carbon deposits that cause it to stick or prevent it from closing properly. Dirty EGR valves can sometimes be cleaned, but replacement is necessary if the valve is defective.

Some newer engines are so clean from a NOX emissions standpoint that no EGR valve is required.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I usually drill two holes in a piece of 1/4 in. steel flat stock for the bolts/studs to fit through, then cut the outside to sort of match the base of the EGR valve, using an EGR gasket I then bolt it down to specs; never had one fail yet.
Might have to back the timing off a tad to keep the engine from sounding like the cylinders is filled with marbles, if it does`nt make that knock/pinging noise I just leave the timing alone or advance the timing until I can hear that noise then back the timing off a bit, until that noise stops when pulling hard on acceleration.

Usually take the wife along, let Her listen for that noise cause I can`t hear fur crap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000