carb to tpi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mamu

Reaction score
First Name
matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
hey guys,

i found a complete tpi engine with all the belt stuff, intake, tb, wire harness, and computer for 350 bucks!!! says when the car drove in the shop it was getting hot, but hasnt been pulled down to check why. only thing its missing is the starter. im wanting to pull the carbed motor out of my 82 rcsb 2 wheel drive and maybe put this in it? i tried to search it but didnt find alot. anyone think this is a good idea? and anyone have one of those handy dandy wiring charts that can tell me all the stuff i need to hook up and to where?

thanks in advance!

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
http://www.chevythunder.com/fuel injection ecm pinouts.htm

Swapping in that engine is a decent idea as long as the engine is good and you don't mind upgrading the fuel system in the truck. I had a firebird with a TPI years back. While the car wasn't anything outstanding for power (bone stock), it was still one of the best running engines I've owned. Have fun with your swap!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
TPI is great, go for it!

If the motor is an '85 you can use your original starter and flywheel. If it's newer, get the matching 168 tooth flywheel so you can then use your starter. For wiring, you can go the cheap/painful route and use the donor vehicle harness, or you can buy a pre-made harness that is easier (IMHO) to install.

mamu

Reaction score
First Name
matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
granted this motor will be better then the one in the truck rite now (due to a extra hole in the pan from a rod). but what kind of performance upgrades can a guy do and it still be a driveable rig everyday but run like a scalded ape? im begining my research, but i figure some of yall already know more than i will learn in this swap!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
but what kind of performance upgrades can a guy do and it still be a driveable rig everyday but run like a scalded ape?

That all depends on what you want to spend... :)

Realistically speaking a camshaft, heads and a full exhaust will get a lot of power freed up for you right off the bat. You can run vortec heads, but you'll need to buy the TPI vortec intake to go with it. There are a few companies out there, including Edelbrock, that offers them. Incidentally Edelbrock also offers high flow runners as well, but you can get by with the stock units if you spend some time with them. You can help them out by porting and polishing your plenum, runners, intake and heads. Gasket match everything. Siamese the runner ports and remove all the bosses inside the plenum that block airflow. Bypass the coolant lines to the stock throttle body. Give the engine a good tune up with AC-Delco parts and check the fuel pressure, TPS voltage and timing. After all that, get a custom tune for the computer and enjoy it.

mamu

Reaction score
First Name
matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
well im thinking about selling the whole setup for a few extra coins and tring to find me a late model ls to slide in there. but who knows....it might end up with a diesel in it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe