Can't get to HL dimmer switch. Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok, I had the dash all apart to replace bulbs and my HL dimmer switch doesn't work as intended. I have a new one to install. I followed directions in Haynes manual (not very clear) and it seems an air duct is preventing the steering column from dropping far enough to get at the dimmer. Only bolts I found which enabled the lowering of the column are on either side and vertical.

Any suggestions?

Whoever engineered the dash didn't anticipate anything needing fixed. :dancingpoop:

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You will have to remove the air duct. Don't forget to take the clip off that holds the indicator for the gear selector. Those are the only bolts that hold the column up.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yeah, like gpmorgan says - pull the AC crossover duct and release the column mounting bolts. Let the column hang down.

The steering wheel should rest on the front of the seat (if it's all the way forward) and provide support for the column.

Also, before dropping the column, you should disconnect one side of the pulse wiper module and unclip the module from the underside of the column.

Then pull the harness clip from the switch, remove and replace the switch and reconnect.

You must be registered for see images attach

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Cool, thanks for the tips!

While I'm in the column, what can I do to fix premature turn cancellation? The signals cancel barely off center and most times, I have to either hold the signal level or keep turning it on.

Thx!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The turn signal cam is under the locking plate under the steering wheel. It needs to be clocked in the right position. It has to match the right hole in the locking plate to install and operate correctly.

You must be registered for see images

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The turn signal cam is under the locking plate under the steering wheel. It needs to be clocked in the right position. It has to match the right hole in the locking plate to install and operate correctly.

You must be registered for see images

Ok, thanks!

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Ok, I had the dash all apart to replace bulbs and my HL dimmer switch doesn't work as intended. I have a new one to install. I followed directions in Haynes manual (not very clear) and it seems an air duct is preventing the steering column from dropping far enough to get at the dimmer. Only bolts I found which enabled the lowering of the column are on either side and vertical.

Any suggestions?

Whoever engineered the dash didn't anticipate anything needing fixed. :dancingpoop:

To drop the column down further you can loosen the two nuts in the engine bay right where the column comes through the firewall. That will aid in letting the column come down a bit more. They are the same size as the nuts that attach under the dash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman