Can your granny open your trucks door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Seems like some square handle buttons open easier than others. I've noticed same thing with some 67-72s . Might be able to granny up the spring lol

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
But those are the worst quality door handles ever made. I have an '08 and a few of my friends have trucks in that year range, they all fall apart. I understand wanting to make the door easier to open, but trust me those particular handles are garbage.

And to each their own, please don't take offense, but man I think that would look horrible on a square. Surely you can find some other period correct handle that just isn't push button style?
Noted. I'm just fishing for idea's. I'm open to suggestions and others opinions. I had to start somewhere.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There was guy near me that installed OBS handles on his squarebody dually. I'd look at some of the handles on the 5-10 ton trucks and firetrucks/ construction vehicles. There are some that would probably look ok.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Noted. I'm just fishing for idea's. I'm open to suggestions and others opinions. I had to start somewhere.
Can always tie a rope to the latch n let a foot or so hang out the hole.

87chevy_com

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
L83
I've never cleaned or done anything with the door push button, works just fine...

what if you changed the linkage that goes from:
button to lock actuator to a spring and switch.
switch turns on relay that makes a 2nd door lock actuator that connects to the actual lock actuator that now opens the door?

if wired in such a way when your car alarm is active, the switch doesnt get power and wont open the door...

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I think alot has to do with weather stripping pressure. And the absolute correct position of the door pin.

The only way my kids get my doors open is if they either use all there thumbs to push or hip check the door while pushing the button. I prefer the all thumb method but sometimes were in a hurry.

Funny this is brought up but has anyone watched the new guardians of the galaxy vol 3.

Theres a part in there where chicky is trying to get into a car and is pulling handle and its a push style. She says who invented something like this is dumb lmfao. Funny thing is it was a free movie from part source and all the guys in the theater laughed when she said that.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Turn the thumb button into a fingerprint reader for the lock and have the entire handle pivot from the front as the opener action.

If you have that sort of cash hanging around...

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Mine are all easy. I lube mine though. I lube around the button in the crack then the door latch mechanism, that's all it takes really. That also helps the door close easier too, the only con is the mess. Even lube the key slot once a year.

Its crazy how nice stuff works when it's lubed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoblind