Power Door Lock Issue (and fix)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txsquare

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I recently picked up an '84 C10 and I've been going through the interior. Unfortunately, it has power locks and windows, so they're keeping me busy atm. The electrical part all seems to be working, except I could not get the driver's side lock to lock. Even after I got into the interior of the door, I couldn't manually move the lock mechanism -- the rod would just bend/flex if I tried to push or pull on it.

Well, after much frustration, I finally fixed it by spraying the top of the actuator, where the rod goes in, with a bunch of lubricant and then repeatedly using the power button to lock and unlock. After a few seconds it freed up and now it works as it should. The truck didn't come with door keys (and it came off a ranch), so I'm guessing the door lock was rarely if ever used.

I hope this helps someone!

flyboys

Reaction score
First Name
scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado 4x4
Engine Size
Gotta give this a try ! My passenger lock (sometimes) just won’t budge! With key or elec button. I hafta lean over and yank the heck out of the plunger and then… she works just fine for a few days. Rinse, wash, repeat !
Lube is in the ol gals future

87chevy_com

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
L83
terrible advice on the solution part ... I would recommend against using the power lock actuator to free the seized component!
The door lock actuator is not designed to overcome seized components, which increases current which can burn up both switch and actuator... and then your left wondering why, what happened???

lubricate the seized components, sure, awesome, and ideal logical next step is to manually move it with you hands... or if you have the door panel off, remove the seized component and have easier access to it...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84