can u change dash with idiot lts to gauges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jl5464

Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I have 87 r10 with idiot lights in dash . I want to chage it to a gauged dash .Already have a gauge set up from another truck what do I have to do to make it work

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
You have to get sending units and repin the cluster plug from what I've read. There might be more issues to deal with since your truck is an 87 tbi.

jl5464

Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Thanks for the tip do you know were I can get more info on this.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I used a Haynes repair manual to change the pinouts on my instrument cluster connector. Have a magnifying glass and highlighter pen for the wiring diagrams, and digital multimeter for testing wires, and take plenty of breaks. It's hard on the legs and back.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
OK, I need more information on this very issue. I have been told by a mechanic that I need to know what year my gauges came out of to buy the correct printed circuit. This is a problem since my cluster was built from several different years. It seems to me that I need to figure out what cluster type the printed circuit will work with, not necessarily the year of the cluster. So now I need to know this million dollar question. Since my truck is an 81 I need to find a printed circuit that corresponds with 81 (i.e. the wiring under the 81's hood) so it works, right? Or is it the other way around? This has been a learning experience for me!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just my opinion. I'm not sure why so many want away from the idiot lights. All I'd do is test my lights to make sure they will work and I can depend on them, then I'd a good quality mechanical gauge trio. I know how to read guages, but what if my mother or daughter drives my truck? And then there has been times too, I'm day dreaming or in deep thought on a long drive and forget to pay attention to guages and have noticed my temp getting up to 220 by the time I did check it. Had I been paying attention, there was an exit about 4 miles back I could have checked my coolant. You won't miss those big red lights coming on no matter where you head is at. Even on a guage trio, I usually drill holes for pilot lights and have idiot lights on my gauge mounting bracket too. I intend to get that done my trucks at some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gord