Camshaft Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
...And check the bores in the area the piston rides in 3 different places up and down the bore then do the same on the sides.
Sound familiar Dave?? Brad I'll just tell you up front, Dave's threads like this go on for months, dont expect him to follow any good advice without asking the same advice over and over and in different forums over and over...

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
********. Even attorneys give a free consultation IF you are acting with intent to hire them. So if the machinist feels he is going to get the work on your build, he will mic it all out for FREE. He has to do this so he knows what to advise you to have done. I've said this before, you need to find a machinist you can trust just like you do your family Dr. Why? Because that is actually what your machinist is. He is the surgeon on your engine build. As I said, get one you can trust. Sometimes a crooked machinist will tell you IT MUST BE BORED, when it doesn't need it. That's how he gets work. IF everyone brought a good block to him, he'd be broke.
You need to lean the tell tale signs. Like I suggested, how is the crosshatching in the cylinder? You can use a telescoping guage and compare the top of the cylinder, to the middle of the cylinder and the bottom of the cylinder. If all 3 are equal, its a good sign the block does NOT need a bore. If it has a deep ridge at the top, it likley needs bored. Do you have anyone local that can help you with this Dave? And I can honestly say, I don't think your teacher is going to be the one. He may be good a text book, but he's not good at hands on. I've already decided that.

I started wondering that back in September when I asked back in the 60's OLDS they used a early and late 394 oil pan, what's the made cansiter for? The teacher goes he never seen metal canister on a oil pan before and he would to see it. I really dont know does the better machine work between napa and carquest. I do know carquest is priced higher than napa. We dont any attorneys here that give free consultations. They all pretty much charge $75 for first visit.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
like I said before you can only check a bore correctly with a bore guage like a sunnen and make shure the block & guage are both the same temperature because it will not be a correct reading! Just for fun check it when ya get there and let them temp out together then check the bores again, you will be amazed at the difference. And check the bores in the area the piston rides in 3 different places up and down the bore then do the same on the sides.

Will do if the teacher has one. If not call napa and carquest to they charge anything to check it for me.

konakustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
Short Bed C10
Engine Size
350 Roller Motor
Will do if the teacher has one. If not call napa and carquest to they charge anything to check it for me.

That would be the smart thing to do. Dont waste ur hard earned money ok.
If you were close I would check it for ya for free. And go to a real machine shop if your gonna build over 400hp ok......Not Napa or others....They (napa,ect) may even send it out depending where u live and charge more.

konakustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
Short Bed C10
Engine Size
350 Roller Motor
Sound familiar Dave?? Brad I'll just tell you up front, Dave's threads like this go on for months, dont expect him to follow any good advice without asking the same advice over and over and in different forums over and over...

Is that rite....lol Well guess ya cant kick him in the sack for being educated and careful but ya shure can kick him in the sack for crying when it blows because he didnt listen rite!

konakustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
Short Bed C10
Engine Size
350 Roller Motor
one of the best relationships you will ever make if your gonna be a motor guy is a not good but great machinist with good equipment. I go hunting and fishing with my machine shop guy because he is a very important part of what we do!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
one of the best relationships you will ever make if your gonna be a motor guy is a not good but great machinist with good equipment. I go hunting and fishing with my machine shop guy because he is a very important part of what we do!

That's a fact. I know my machinist by first name basis, and if don't talk to him for months, I can call him, and say its that guy that builds transmissions, and he knows exactly who I am. His girl also knows who I am. They have also done some aluminum Trans case cleaning for me, to find out the case was cracked and no good, and they don't charge me. Even though, its expensive to clean the aluminum since the machine has to preheat for hours. YOU MUST TRUST YOUR MACHINIST. As I've said before, he's in the same category as your family Dr. You have no choice but to depend on his advice, and trust his work. Also, NEVER RUSH your machinist. If he says It'll be done Tuesday, Don't expect it until Friday. Any good machinist is busy as hell. If he is fast, then he probably sucks and noone uses him so he stays caught up.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I used the bore gauge today. When measuring from N to S and E to W they around 5 thousandths. When measuring NW to SE and NE to SW they 3-4 thousands.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Have it bored, decked and align honed to eliminate doubt.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What is the purpose of this motor? Is it just a rering job? Only difference in cost of the cost of the pistons and the boring and honing, so is it worth that extra expense? Normally a full reman will outlast a rering job buy at least 2 to 1 and should actually be more.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
0.004" and up = piston slap but I think I told Dave that once before.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
What is the purpose of this motor? Is it just a rering job? Only difference in cost of the cost of the pistons and the boring and honing, so is it worth that extra expense? Normally a full reman will outlast a rering job buy at least 2 to 1 and should actually be more.

Just for pleasure driving. No towing and hauling. Tagged antique with the yellow tags.

I'm getting my engine kit from here.

http://www.apmengineparts.com/ford-6-4-390-v8-1968-1973-engine-kit.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS