Camshaft discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
If you are a low compression small block you might want to look at the crane 10017 , same spec's as what you are looking at but with a 106 lode sep. The one you are looking at is 105+115=220 then divided by 2 makes that cam a 110 lode sep. The 106 on the crane cam at the same spec's makes more cylinder pressure , (for low compression stocker) which in turn makes more low end power , (with a little less up top) , and a more choppy idle , best of both worlds. The OP should check this cam out as well, much better choice for a low compression motor with crappy heads,(bad heads work better with tight lsa cams imo.)

We put this cam in a goodwrench motor,(shaved heads, thin steel heads gasket's) with all the bolt on's and it sounded cool at the light and pulled pretty hard in a k-10 square on 33's , stock stall , 3.73 gears

Great info! Thank you sir. I knew the GMSB members would come thru with great info. My 82 c10 short bed that I will be putting the cam in is not my daily driver and I have time to make informed decisions on. I will definitely look at that cam. Since you have personal experience with that one I appreciate you sharing that info. I appreciate all the responses from all members who have posted to help me make a more informed decision on this.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Nice thread you guys have going...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You're welcome. There is loads of help thst can be found HERE. Much of it is more friendly than I.

There is no need to pull heads. The lifters can be removed from the "lifter valley" underneath the intake manifold. You will have to remove that / buy new gaskets, remove the water pump and timing cover / buy new gaskets, remove the belts, the radiator, the grille, and the harmonic damper - which requires a puller. It's likely NOT something one can whip out after work one night and ride it back in the morning...
It's a pretty big project for someone like you. (Most people) I'm not talking ****, but you should plan accordingly. The pushrods are the LEAST of your worries!

Get a couple of cardboard boxes, a Sharpie, a magnet on a stick, masking tape, and disposable ice cube trays for the project. Some people (me) insist that EVERYTHING goes back EXACTLY where it came from. Rocker arms, pushrods, etc. All that must be kept in specific order.
You will also need to change the oil and add antifreeze when finished.

Wrap your head around all of THAT, take two asprins and call me in the morning - after you come to your senses.

If this is your daily driver, I am trying to talk you out of it.
:)
You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Just get the lumpiest sounding cam you can find, don't worry about power. Throw some 22" cockstar wheels on with those 38" tires, and build the mall crawler of your dreams.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Just get the lumpiest sounding cam you can find, don't worry about power. Throw some 22" cockstar wheels on with those 38" tires, and build the mall crawler of your dreams.
Another quality addition
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Or pony up the extra doe and go roller and not worry about it ever again. I'm done with flat tappet stuff only had one bite me in the ass and that was enough and that was someone else's not breaking it in properly which led to my current configuration.
Hmm NOT breaking it in seems to me like 1 big problem all by itself!!!! <Giggling>

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ya, twas a good post.
Bro, don't do it if you gotta drive it to work!

Lol wtf.

And then I get the unicorn but for why?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Or pony up the extra doe and go roller and not worry about it ever again. I'm done with flat tappet stuff only had one bite me in the ass and that was enough and that was someone else's not breaking it in properly which led to my current configuration.

Quoting the older post here because it's still good advice. Besides initial cost, there's really no downsides.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Quoting the older post here because it's still good advice. Besides initial cost, there's really no downsides.
I.Beg.To. Differ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K10_Travis