Camaro tach that everyone can love.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You will have to calibrate that tach, it's for a V6.

I like how that turned out though. I have several sets of Camaro gauges laying around, I think I'm going to copy you:High 5:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I'd still be willing to bet you could make it work.

You would have to use an 85 mph Camaro speedo instead of a 115 or 145 though.

Disattach the face from both units and swap faces and needles. Looks like you might have to ditch the trip meter though... The 0-85 sweep looks the same or at least close enough, hell most of our speedos are off from the factory not to mention changing tire size. Might even be able to make the trip work if you didn't mind a long rectangle hole over the reset button too.

Ok, back to the workbench. Pics coming soon.

~Tyler

Mine is an all electric speedo from a suburban I am running a 4L80E, as far as the speedo being off I would agree most of them are but mine is programmed thru the VCM and is accurate.

xicor37

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 reg cab, short bed, step side
Engine Size
355 TPI
OK so start off by stripping both clusters of everything even the pcb on the back. Then in order to get the tach and speedo to fit, you need to remove the top half of the brake, seat belt, 4x4, choke light standoffs like this. I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel, worked great.

You must be registered for see images attach

The tach is self explanatory pretty much bolts up, you have to make one new hole in the plastic and bend the tabs a little but it's easy.
Take this yellow box off the speedo:

If your truck has one you will be putting the one from your truck on later. If your truck doesn't have one, then toss it.

Now, the speedo sits in there nicely but there are no hole to bolt it in. I cam up with an easy foolproof way to remedy that. First use the Dremel to cut off the speedo mount from the Camaro cluster like so:

Then stick it on the back of your truck cluster like this (notice I had to trim a little off at the top). And mark your holes.

Drill out the holes with the proper sized drill bit and bolt in your new speedo!

Now for the little gauges. This is where it gets fun! First off, remove the needles from your old truck gauges. Then cut the rivets off the backside of them so that the face plates come off and your left with this

Toss these. Or, keep them I don't care...
Now this was the hardest part. After you get one done the rest are easy though. Cut out the truck face plates so that the Camaro gauges sit inside them. The trick is to get them so they sit centered and level and plum. Spend a lot of time looking over the first one and always remember the number one rule of cutting, measure twice, cut once and rule two you can always take more off!!! If you really look at the gauges you can see that even though the Camaro gauges aren't round, their imaginary perimeter is about the same size as the truck gauges. When done you will be left with a C shaped faceplate. Use the first one to trace out the next two and repat the process. Pics:

The last tricky part is, making sure they are centered in the holes of the black plastic gauge cover and drilling hols and bolting them down. I used a #3 center drill and just pierced the tip through. Then I bolted them together with the screws that held the clear gauge lens to the Camaro cluster.

Sure, it looks junky on the inside but it's solid as hell and when the trucks black gauge cover is on you cant see any of this.

Maybe I'll do a continuation with the wiring tomorrow.

~Tyler

xicor37

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
355 TPI
You will have to calibrate that tach, it's for a V6.

I like how that turned out though. I have several sets of Camaro gauges laying around, I think I'm going to copy you:High 5:

Tach is already calibrated. I've done that more times than I can count when stuffing V8's into Fiero's. :grd:

~Tyler

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Tach is already calibrated. I've done that more times than I can count when stuffing V8's into Fiero's. :grd:

~Tyler

well perhaps you can do a how to on the calibration process.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

~Tyler

Any chance you still have extra Fiero parts laying around?

xicor37

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
355 TPI
X2 I may need to pick your brain on tach troubleshooting.

No problem man. I usually do my tachs at work (I'm an EE) because I have access to O-scopes and other cool toys, but I can do a writeup with how to do it at home. Not hard at all if you are confident in soldering on a pcb without burning it up.

~Tyler

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
No problem man. I usually do my tachs at work (I'm an EE) because I have access to O-scopes and other cool toys, but I can do a writeup with how to do it at home. Not hard at all if you are confident in soldering on a pcb without burning it up.

~Tyler

cool soldering doesnt scare me I love the electronics in automobiles.

xicor37

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
355 TPI
Any chance you still have extra Fiero parts laying around?

I've owned over 30 Fiero's, no joke. Yeah I have a garage full of Fiero stuff. I've done everything you can dream of to them. From LS1's to GN engines to chop tops, wide bodies and everything in between. Just no kit cars I hate kit cars :p

~Tyler

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205

~Tyler

I need some kind of schematic for a tach, about 78-79 model I would guess. I was reading this page on how to fix a similar GM tach but it isn't laid out the same at all so I dont know what to really look for... http://www.howtoalmanac.com/kevin/projects/automotive/tachfix.htm
I hate the thought that I'm going to have to send it off to have it fixed for over $200.

konakustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
Short Bed C10
Engine Size
350 Roller Motor
I love this idea. Great work. What year are the guages so I can find a set and do this to my truck im building. I was going to use autometer guages but everyone has them and I like to be different. I seen a guy on the other site gonna sell these made like you did yours but im not paying what they were talking for a kit.
Im very impressed with your guages

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I love this idea. Great work. What year are the guages so I can find a set and do this to my truck im building. I was going to use autometer guages but everyone has them and I like to be different. I seen a guy on the other site gonna sell these made like you did yours but im not paying what they were talking for a kit.
Im very impressed with your guages

82-92 I believe but all I see on fleabay are ones for V-6 Camaros, so they have to be re-calibrated for V-8.

konakustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
Short Bed C10
Engine Size
350 Roller Motor
82-92 I believe but all I see on fleabay are ones for V-6 Camaros, so they have to be re-calibrated for V-8.

Cool....thanks. I will find a set at the junk yard for a v8 camaro.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
82-89 were the round gauges...In 1990 they went to half moon gauges with an electronic speedometer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia