Cab trim removal ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reno81K20

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1981 & 1985
Truck Model
K-20 & C-20
Engine Size
350 4Spd & 350 Automatic
Ok, I have an 85 C20 Silverado with the band that runs the width of the back of the cab, It's really in good shape with few dings and scuffs in it.
My question is how does one go about removing it without destroying it?

I haven't tried taking it off yet, but really want to so I can try and clean it up and remove some of the small dings. Then go over the whole thing with some steel wool. Then I want to replicate it onto the 81 that's sitting next to it. Any suggestions ??

Pictures are always welcomed.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
The trim on the cab corners have a small nut, you'll find it if you reach your hand up the rear pillar, once its off just pull on it. The long piece that runs the width of the cab has a series of plastic slide clips. Just grab one end at either side of truck, and pull/slide it out. If its never been removed, it probably has dirt and debris in it, and you might have to play with it to loosen it up. Depending on how deteriorated the clips are, some or none will break these little ear thingy's they have. But in the end, it should slide right out, and slide right in

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Remove 2 pieces from the side of the cab from the inside; I think its 2 10mm nuts.

Once the side pieces are off the band just slides off.

Reno81K20

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1981 & 1985
Truck Model
K-20 & C-20
Engine Size
350 4Spd & 350 Automatic
:) Thanks everyone. I will try and pull it off later. I bought a body hammer kit from Harbor Freight a few days ago and thought it would be the perfect thing to test my patience with. Just hope it all goes well.

Thx again .

Chris

Reno81K20

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1981 & 1985
Truck Model
K-20 & C-20
Engine Size
350 4Spd & 350 Automatic
Thanks so much for the link. I saved it and will try it for both my cab trim and tailgate trim.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
There are some metal prong thingys that hold the plastic clips behind the aluminum trim along the back of the cab. I had a really tough time removing the dings from my trim and I have done a lot of bodywork throughout the years....so I opted to ditch them entirely. Now they all just sit on a shelf. When reinstalling the aluminum trim, LMC Truck has the plastic clips. The original clips break really easy after being there 30 plus years. If you aren't happy with the refurbished trim pieces, LMC Truck also has those as well....just an fyi.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64