Cab Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi everyone.
It's been about a year and a half since I started this resurrection project and it looks like it may be close to completion by the end of the year. I'm going to need something to help my lovely wife for 54 years get into the cab for her first ride. She's only seen a picture of the truck and I want it to be completely finished when I bring it home to surprise her. I have kept everything stock and don't want anything to look too out of place.

I think a single step in stainless steel or chrome would look best but I have not seen many advertised. A bolt on would be nice but I could have my body man weld them on if necessary. Can some of you tell me what you've done or suggest where I should look to find a vendor? Thanks.............

Gilderbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
If youre wanting hoop steps I would suggest fabricating up some supports.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Are you talking about steps, or running boards?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
everyone does the ones above from autozone etc. cal lem hoop steps they only bolt to the rocker though.

They do make nerf style or big round tube steps they from the front of the rear tires up to the front of the cab, lmc sells them they run like 260 or so a set.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pulled.these off of a parts fruck. Seem to work fine.
You must be registered for see images attach

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, since you've been married for a little while (congrats BTW), you might be better off with a running board style of step. I know they are pricy but the electric ones with tuck out of the way when the door is closed. These will be a wider easier step to get in and out of the truck.

I'm not sure if they are available for squarebodies but I'm sure it can be added with little fabrication.

You may also think about adding a grab handle like newer vehicles have to assist with enter/exit of the truck.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks everybody for the suggestions and pics. I believe that hoop steps, positioned in just the right place, is the way I would like to go. The grab handle would really be the most help for her, I have the steering wheel, but I just don't know exactly where or how that would work. It would really have to be a solid mount.
I will most likely end up having my body man install the steps so I'll get his ideas on the handle.

Dysco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Your wife is not going to get younger, so depending on the height of your truck (lifted?) a hoop step might not be ideal. I know that some people don't like them, or think they are cool, but running boards are really effective for your purpose. They can make a huge difference getting in and out of our trucks. And, they are 100% retro looking as well as in the opinion of many others, can look cool. If you are planning on mudding and rock crawling, well, not a good choice. Otherwise, for general use on and off road, they work really well.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Dmack, I like the style on your truck, is there a name on them?

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Dysco, you make some good points. It looks like your truck is lifted. Mine is stock with no plans to change anything and only street and highway driving. I have a QX 80 and when she crawls into that thing, I notice she always steps on the running board in exactly the same place every time. Thus my comment on the correct placement of the step.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For a grab handle my first thought was to use rivnuts. But I'm not sure how strong the inner roof metal is on our cabs. Or how much room there is between the two sheets of metal.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Carr brand it appears.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the picture although I can't make out all of the print below the shield.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk