Cab lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsmith

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
I have a 1987 GMC V3500. The cab lights and tailgate marker lights are not working. I have checked the cab light bulbs. They appear to be good. Don't know what could be causing it? Any ideas?

Also, none of my gauge lights work in the interior. Think that might just be the bulbs. Don't think the issue is related.

Thanks!

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Have you checked your fuses?

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Check output voltage at plug with a voltage meter, compare to your battery available voltage. Reads zero on all, ground or power fault possibly corroded wire, reads source battery voltage then bulb.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a 1987 GMC V3500. The cab lights and tailgate marker lights are not working. I have checked the cab light bulbs. They appear to be good. Don't know what could be causing it? Any ideas?

Also, none of my gauge lights work in the interior. Think that might just be the bulbs. Don't think the issue is related.

Thanks!

The issue most likley IS related. Tail and marker lights are on the same circuit as your dash lights, so when the fuse blows, you lose all your tail, marker and dash lights.

How I know? I was once towing a trailer from out of town. My damn dash lights went out about 10 miles from my destination. I got pulled over and was like WTF did I do wrong? I was pulled over for no taillights and no trailer lights. I replaced the fuse and it happened again like 5 miles later. Come to find out, my trailer tail light was grounding out and blowing my Tail/Tag Marker light fuse and taking my dash lights out with it.

Jsmith

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
I have checked the fuses and the actual tail lights work. I'm talking about the 5 red markers are on the tailgate. I haven't checked the voltage though. I will do that next. Thanks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have checked the fuses and the actual tail lights work. I'm talking about the 5 red markers are on the tailgate. I haven't checked the voltage though. I will do that next. Thanks.

Just the tailgate marker lights? Not the roof marker lights, side markers or tail lights? If so, I'd suspect the tailgate wiring then and yes, then the dash lights is likely a separate problem. Could even be in the headlight switch itself.

Jsmith

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Cab lights, tailgate markers and dash lights don't. The front fender markers do work though. Didn't even think about the headlight switch itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486