Cab light question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm adding them to mine and did a practice run for accessibility. That void is small but the wires are, well - smaller. Not as bad as it sounds. The set I'm running (I think these are the GMT400 style?) have 2 small holes for the lamp and then a larger hole in the middle for the bulb fixture. I have a length of 10ga primary wire in white (visibility) I use for fishing wires and it goes pretty quick.

I'm considering making a hole inside (3/4" maybe?) for access if need be to each lamp. Close it up with a grommet - then under the headliner. Just a thought.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I believe this is where the wire feeds through the top of the firewall to the roof. It's been a long time since I replaced the clearance lamps, but from my photos it appears only the white wire feeds to the lights. I can't remember how it grounds. I could be totally wrong on this and it could be the wire for the dome lamps switch in the door jamb. LOL

Top of dash, looking down through left speaker hole.

Driver's side kick panel looking up to bottom of windshield.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks, the housing and placement of mine to not look the same as yours. Seems like a lot of work to mount marker lights like that with the wiring run the way it is. Is it an add on you guys see very often? If someone had just dropped the headliner and wired it that way I could see, but trying to run the wires in that void seems like a pain just to have marker lights.
I’d say it’s not very common at all, even though the last 2 posts are guys who did add them to the truck.
They serve virtually no useful purpose unless hauling under DOT commercial vehicle regs which is also rare with 30-50 year old trucks. And they’re 15 more potential future leaks.

That said I highly considered adding them for the cool factor when we redid the 86. But in the end I didn’t and kept the visor instead.

There are some (very expensive) wireless clearance lights on the market.
Solar charged and a key fob remote. For those who want the big rig look and don’t want to Swiss cheeze their roof!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@Grit dog the only reason my K30 has clearance lights is because they were required on vehicles over 80" wide in California. The thing that makes my K30 over 80" is the Dana 60 front axle. I think it's about 81" hub to hub. Mine also has the factory tailgate lights.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@midwest

Did you get your cab lights fixed?

Do your cab lights look like this:

If not take a picture and please post it.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Bought these for my 90 3/4 ton 'burb. It sits higher than the 4x4 burb.
Use to drive big rigs, just something about having that light in the dark is just comforting to me. Like the clacking of an old 6.2 dizzel lol. Puts me right to sleep. Should use that to replace my white noise machine..

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Here are my lenses and the housings...

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And no I haven't gotten them fixed. Basically haven't had time to go to the neighbors house who is going to help me figure it out. Electrical is just not my thing.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
And no I haven't gotten them fixed. Basically haven't had time to go to the neighbors house who is going to help me figure it out. Electrical is just not my thing.
As stated, not GM factory lights. Made by Dietz and used on many Fords trucks from the factory.

They only have one power wire, and the ground is made through the mounting hardware. There is a good chance they still have power, but no ground. Also the bulb sockets could be corroded. Power off, clean the sockets with a bulb socket brush. Check the ground with a jumper wire to the one lamp that works.

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I texted the guy who painted my truck a while back and he did say they had the light housing off the cab when they painted them and they did not just tape them off. I am guessing they are not grounded. I just need some free time now, kids, work, coaching, etc....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave