Cab fender patch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Grim Taho

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
V8-350
Hey so this is my first time on the forum, have a bit of a problem stopping my 1984 restoration and couldn't find any help, so I'm hoping I can get some here. :)

So the thing is, my fenders are rusted and falling apart just near the bumper, on the passenger and drivers side and I want to find a patch I could just cut out and weld in to make it solid. However I've looked all over, LMC Truck, National Parts Depot, even eBay . I just need a small piece of metal, enough so I can get rid of the rust. LMC has a patch like I'm looking for, but it's not for my year truck and I don't want to take a gamble with it. The part number is 38-7650 for reference.

Does anyone know where I could get a patch like this, or is a full fender my only option? If a full fender is the only solution, then would fiberglass bodyfill fix my problem? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20160927_150951424_ZDateMark[1].jpg
    IMG_20160927_150951424_ZDateMark[1].jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20160927_150959219_ZDateMark[1].jpg
    IMG_20160927_150959219_ZDateMark[1].jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 129

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I don't think fiberglass is going to cut it in that location. You'll be doing it again in a few years again.

Please correct me if I'm wrong guys. Just going on past experience with my dads 67 camaro and the scoop he had glassed to the stock hood, fender flares and rear spoiler.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
That LMC part may be close enough to allow you to cut out a piece that will work. I have found that metal is rather thin tho. Another option I would try myself would be to hammer out a patch piece but that requires a bit of skill. Fiber hair filler could do the job for you provided the truck won't see much salt exposure. weather you patch ot fill it will still be important to get some rust preventer in on the back side of the repair when you are done. You should be able to find a replacement fendr rather easily too. I would look for a good original before I went with aftermarket. I will say I did have a pair of LMC outer fenders on a truck here in wisconsin and exposed to salt for several years and they held up ok. Just pant them inside and out with some good paint.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Filler will just rust through again. What's the reluctance with replacing the entire fender? By the time you get done with the cutting, welding, and finishing, you're probably going to be into it for more than a whole replacement will cost. Been there, done that.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Filler will just rust through again. What's the reluctance with replacing the entire fender? By the time you get done with the cutting, welding, and finishing, you're probably going to be into it for more than a whole replacement will cost. Been there, done that.

A very good point! $75-$100 bucks and done!

The Grim Taho

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
V8-350

Yeah, I do understand that if I replace the whole fender it will be a lot better overall, but I just don't have the money. I'm a dual enrolled high school senior and don't have work, so I'm really trying to cut my costs, as this will be my daily driver before winter rolls around. Doesn't have to be beautiful, just trying to get rid of most of the rust.

I was thinking though, could I just cut out the rust, roughly shape a patch on the inside of the fender then bondo over the space between the patch and the rest of the fender?

Also really appreciate the quick responses guys.

Geektrucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale Suburban C10
Engine Size
350, Vortec Heads, Hi-rise intake, long tube headers, BIG bump stick
Personally, I'd wire wheel the hell out it, rust stop on the inside, tiger hair the hole and sand it smooth. A little body filler to finish smoothing then sand that. Rattle can over the top of it all and the inside. It won't be perfect, but it'll buy you a year or more until you can buy a whole fender.

Yeah, I'm from Maine and a little redneck..but I've gotten good at "hiding" rust for a little while
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
gotta be south maine to be a redneck....south side of sumtn anyway lol

Seems the south side of almost any state. Like sourhern Wisconsin..... But then again in northern Wisconsin their all redneck so nobody notices like they notice us in the southern half.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I guess it's up to you which way is right for the time. If it's a case of just getting through a year or so, then the most cost effective way would be to grind it down and glass or bondo it. I went through kinda the same thing when I redid a jeep some years back. Thought I could save money by making my own patch panels. It turned out ok, but by the time I was done I'd spent far more than I would have if I'd just replaced the tub.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising