C20 Leaf Spring Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
So the other day I was installing dual exhausts on my '79 C20. When I was under there I noticed something... one of my leaf springs was sticking out into the back of my tire!!

Okay thankfully upon further inspection it had been caught by the back of the brake drum (the non rotating part. Phew.) So I pulled the tire off and took a sledge and hammered it back into place. Then wrapped in baling wire to keep it in place.

This is only a temporary fix, so what is it I can do here? Can I replace only the one leaf (second from top), or do I need to buy a whole new leaf spring set? Also, could I install C30 leaf springs to increase capacity? I have a 14 bolt rear with 3.73 gears.

Anybody got a parts truck I could have the springs out of? Thanks!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So the other day I was installing dual exhausts on my '79 C20. When I was under there I noticed something... one of my leaf springs was sticking out into the back of my tire!!

Okay thankfully upon further inspection it had been caught by the back of the brake drum (the non rotating part. Phew.) So I pulled the tire off and took a sledge and hammered it back into place. Then wrapped in baling wire to keep it in place.

This is only a temporary fix, so what is it I can do here? Can I replace only the one leaf (second from top), or do I need to buy a whole new leaf spring set? Also, could I install C30 leaf springs to increase capacity? I have a 14 bolt rear with 3.73 gears.

Anybody got a parts truck I could have the springs out of? Thanks!

Is it broken or just twisted ?

There are little metal wraps that wrap around the spring pack to prevent them from slipping out. sounds like you just need to install a set of those

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You must be registered for see images attach

Part #48214

Last edited:

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Is it broken or just twisted ?

There are little metal wraps that wrap around the spring pack to prevent them from slipping out. sounds like you just need to install a set of those

It's broken about 2" behind the center of the leaf. The front half stayed in place for some reason. I can post pictures here in a bit for clarification. Now that I look at it... the leaf just above it is bent a little bit. The main leaf. Is this a problem?

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

See how the top leaf is bent up a hare?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

Part #48214

Okay, gotcha. So it's just a clamp that goes around the springs. If I had the opportunity, could I swap a C30 spring pack in there and the other side?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Okay, gotcha. So it's just a clamp that goes around the springs. If I had the opportunity, could I swap a C30 spring pack in there and the other side?

Ya well that pack needs to come apart anyways. You probably have 52" springs. The c30 will have 56" springs. You can swap these but you would have to pop the rivets on the back spring hanger and relocate them to the more rearward position. Which involves reaming the holes to get a nice snug fit with a larger shouldered bolt.

You may luck out and already have 56" springs.

I just noticed yesterday that my 83 K20 has 56" springs from the factory, so you might too.

If not just move the rear hangers back 4"s the holes are already there you just need to do the work :(

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
OR....

Get some replacement leafs.

Drop the axle but leave the main spring in place then using C clamps to hold the spring pack together remove the center pin that holds the pack together. Then slowly release the C clamps and change out the broken leafs then reassemble.

This route can be very Dangerous so it is advised to wrap the pack with heavy chain several times so that if they slip they dont fly out and injure someone.

Extreme caution should be taken !!!

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
OR....

Get some replacement leafs.

Drop the axle but leave the main spring in place then using C clamps to hold the spring pack together remove the center pin that holds the pack together. Then slowly release the C clamps and change out the broken leafs then reassemble.

This route can be very Dangerous so it is advised to wrap the pack with heavy chain several times so that if they slip they dont fly out and injure someone.

Extreme caution should be taken !!!

Awesome, thanks for the help. Now I just need to find a replacement leaf! For some reason I am having a hard time finding one. Maybe I should just go to pick-a-part or a junk yard and look... But I just went out and measured and they are 56"! Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugRedC10