c20 fuel tank info?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremys14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
i need to order and 87+ fuel tank setup for my ls swap. does it matter if it is for r10 or r20? and does bed size really make a difference or will any size tank for the square body fit?

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
You can't put a 20 gallon on a short bed. You can put either a 16 gallon or a 20 gallon on a long bed. R10 vs R20 doesn't matter.

Optimally, what I would like to do when I get to my swap, is put a 31 gallon Blazer tank or a 40 gallon Burb tank in the rear of the truck. I'm gonna need all the help with traction I can get. :D

jeremys14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
its a c20 crew cab long bed

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
its a c20 crew cab long bed

Then you can run the 20 gallon tanks. The tank mounting brackets, and the tanks themselves work for either side with the same part #'s. All you need to do is decide 16gal or 20 gal. As already said, Shortbeds MUST BE 16 gallons, but anythng else, whichever size you decide. Oneluckypops just bought a tank set up to convert to Vortec Fuel Injection. You might ask him where he got his tank set up. IIRC, he got a pretty fair deal with shipping on his. :grd:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You can't put a 20 gallon on a short bed. You can put either a 16 gallon or a 20 gallon on a long bed. R10 vs R20 doesn't matter.

Optimally, what I would like to do when I get to my swap, is put a 31 gallon Blazer tank or a 40 gallon Burb tank in the rear of the truck. I'm gonna need all the help with traction I can get. :D

I'd like to do this too. Isn't there also a 25ish gallon Blazer tank? I myself would like to go 40 gallon in the back, but.... but... but... the 31's I've seen done seem to hang down pretty low. Doesn't the 40 hang down even lower or is it a bigger square at the same depth? Even is bigger, I'd think it would start getting pretty close to the axle. I'd probably stick with a 31. It's pretty expensisve these days filling up 40 gallons, and all the extra weight really does hurt the mpg.

:rofl: Well, my truck gets 8mpg with a full tank. After I burn off half a tank I get 11mpg. :happy175:

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I'd like to do this too. Isn't there also a 25ish gallon Blazer tank? I myself would like to go 40 gallon in the back, but.... but... but... the 31's I've seen done seem to hang down pretty low. Doesn't the 40 hang down even lower or is it a bigger square at the same depth? Even is bigger, I'd think it would start getting pretty close to the axle. I'd probably stick with a 31. It's pretty expensisve these days filling up 40 gallons, and all the extra weight really does hurt the mpg.

:rofl: Well, my truck gets 8mpg with a full tank. After I burn off half a tank I get 11mpg. :happy175:

Yeah, I haven't seen for sure whether or not a 40 gallon tank fits, and no one seems to know (is that a sign that it doesn't? Who knows...). For $100 or so, I'd be willing to try it out, but you are right, a 31 gallon would probably be the sweet spot.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, I haven't seen for sure whether or not a 40 gallon tank fits, and no one seems to know (is that a sign that it doesn't? Who knows...). For $100 or so, I'd be willing to try it out, but you are right, a 31 gallon would probably be the sweet spot.

All the info I've seen says the 40 gallon tank will not fit... but that info was probably written by short bed guys. I'd say if it fits in a Suburban, it should also fit in a long bed truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85