Buying a Paint Sprayer/Gun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
What are you spraying?

The HF ad says "Air consumption: 6 CFM (stated), 1.5 CFM @ 30 PSI suggested" so I think your compressor would keep up. The issue will be moisture in the compressed air, what do you have for an air dryer?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I dont have anything for a air dryer. Should i invest in external air dryer?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It's just a filter-looking thing, separates the condensation from the compressed air. Which is why you should always drain your tank and leave the drain open after every time you use it.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I got drain plug on the bttom of the tank and a round filter on the side of the motor/pump.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Getting all the moisture out of compressed air can be a challenge, guys often end up spending more on dryer equipment than they did on their compressors.

A membrane dryer, as c4o mentioned, may or may not work depending on the quality of the filter, cfm requirements, and relative humidity of the ambient air. I tried just a small filter that looked like a glass bowl with a gold-colored hard filter inside. It removed some moisture but allowed some through as well. I had water spitting out of my pneumatic tools. If you connected two or three quality membrane filters in series you might eliminate the moisture and oil sludge from the air.

Desiccant dryers use a moisture-trapping medium inside a canister. They're very effective but require periodic maintenance to replace the contents.

Lowering the air temp of compressed air is another way of removing moisture, but it's expensive. Compressing air creates heat, and hot air retains moisture. I've measured outlet air temps on my compressor in excess of 200 degrees. Each 20 degrees that air is cooled allows 50 percent of the entrained moisture to drop out. Refrigerated dryers are used in commercial applications but not worth the money for most home mechanics.

I've been working on an air dryng system for a few months for my two stage compressor. The first stage compressed air is run through a simple fan-cooled condensor to lower the air temp before it goes into the second high pressure cylinder. Then it exits the second stage and goes through a refrigerated aftercooler and into the storage tank. Air exiting the tank then goes through a membrane filter and a desiccant filter before it gets to the end of the hose. It's effective, but more work than most guys are willing to take on.

For your use, I would look at a large quality membrane filter followed by a desiccant dryer. It's not something you can go cheap on though, painting with air that contains moisture and oil vapor is a lost cause.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Getting all the moisture out of compressed air can be a challenge, guys often end up spending more on dryer equipment than they did on their compressors.

A membrane dryer, as c4o mentioned, may or may not work depending on the quality of the filter, cfm requirements, and relative humidity of the ambient air. I tried just a small filter that looked like a glass bowl with a gold-colored hard filter inside. It removed some moisture but allowed some through as well. I had water spitting out of my pneumatic tools. If you connected two or three quality membrane filters in series you might eliminate the moisture and oil sludge from the air.

Desiccant dryers use a moisture-trapping medium inside a canister. They're very effective but require periodic maintenance to replace the contents.

Lowering the air temp of compressed air is another way of removing moisture, but it's expensive. Compressing air creates heat, and hot air retains moisture. I've measured outlet air temps on my compressor in excess of 200 degrees. Each 20 degrees that air is cooled allows 50 percent of the entrained moisture to drop out. Refrigerated dryers are used in commercial applications but not worth the money for most home mechanics.

I've been working on an air dryng system for a few months for my two stage compressor. The first stage compressed air is run through a simple fan-cooled condensor to lower the air temp before it goes into the second high pressure cylinder. Then it exits the second stage and goes through a refrigerated aftercooler and into the storage tank. Air exiting the tank then goes through a membrane filter and a desiccant filter before it gets to the end of the hose. It's effective, but more work than most guys are willing to take on.

For your use, I would look at a large quality membrane filter followed by a desiccant dryer. It's not something you can go cheap on though, painting with air that contains moisture and oil vapor is a lost cause.

Can I get this membrane filter and desiccant dryer at harbor freight too?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I don't see them even listed anymore. I looked at one a few months ago and it fell apart in my hands in the store. Poor quality even by HF standards. Found another forum that talked about the HF filters and guys said they leaked like crazy and one blew up, nearly taking the guy's foot off.

Cheap parts and air pressure don't get along well.

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I don't see them even listed anymore. I looked at one a few months ago and it fell apart in my hands in the store. Poor quality even by HF standards. Found another forum that talked about the HF filters and guys said they leaked like crazy and one blew up, nearly taking the guy's foot off.

Cheap parts and air pressure don't get along well.

Where else can i get it at? Northern tool?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Dave, get one of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...ow-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-47016.html

When I painted my last pickup I used a really high end HVLP Sata in my buddy's paint shop. The HVLP guns with the gravity feed cups are awesome, I tried one my dad gave me that looked like what your about to buy an did not like it at all.

Im diggin the lawn mower projects, I think the little 14 dollar gun is the perfect quality and size for your project.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Dave, get one of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...ow-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-47016.html

When I painted my last pickup I used a really high end HVLP Sata in my buddy's paint shop. The HVLP guns with the gravity feed cups are awesome, I tried one my dad gave me that looked like what your about to buy an did not like it at all.

Im diggin the lawn mower projects, I think the little 14 dollar gun is the perfect quality and size for your project.

The air consumption is too high on that one.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have one like it, got it from Big Lots and it rocks. 20-50 psi Dave, for that price I would consider it and drop the pressure to 20-30 psi. May have to thin the paint a little to get it to spray even. I have a sprayer like the first one you posted and it's a pain in the ass to get dialed in, and cleanup is a nightmare. By the way I got my filter/dryer from Sears many moons ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85