bulletproof steering or other crossover style stuff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rscustomrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Since I have started this project and gone to a complete frame off, I have been researching the bulletproof steering and a few others. Has anyone on the site done the crossover steering conversion on their 4x4s? Mine has a 4 inch lift and I think it will bolt right up. Let me know if anyone has done it and if it made a big difference in handling. This truck is for my daughter and I want it to handle as well as possible. Thanks for your input.

Rich

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have done it, it is important if you run large tires (38 and up) or if you do hardcore trail riding and lose steering in one direction due to trail twist, and the poor geometry of the stock steering system. I went with Offroad Design's kit for the Dana 60 front, which is something you have to consider when you do yours, what front you have. The passenger knuckle has to be flattop like an older Dana 44, or you can have yours machined for the steering arm at a machine shop. You'll also need a 2WD steering box for left/right pull of the drag link instead of front/rear pull like it has stock.

On a side note I've seen people recently going with tie rods that have a hole in them on the passenger side for the drag link to attach to, eliminating the need for a flattop knuckle. I'm not sure how strong those are, or how well they work. See you want your drag link as close to parallel with the ground as you can get it and having it attach to the tie rod makes it a steeper angle (depending on your lift) and you get more bump-steer and limited steering in one direction or the other (I think it is left radius that gets cut) which is what most people are trying to fix by going to crossover to begin with.