Brown Tire Issue???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
When I treated the tires, I did treat into the lugs. I treated the tires in the garage, but whenever I pull it out of the garage and into the sun the tire slowly turns brown. I didn’t have the problem until I used the product I have currently. Tires are on the newer side and the truck is not driven that much. I would like to still use a tire shine, but I’d like to find a product that doesn’t react with brown tire in the sun.
you dont by chance go into swampy or otherwise earthy environments with your truck, do you? Like anything that would possibly put organic material(living or non) on or around your tires have you?
Im wondering if there is not a degredation of your tire shine stuff because of either a reaction with a cleaner left over or a tire compound, and the UV Is doing that. I asked about organic material because various invisible to our eye films and organisms and material could be at play , kinda like when i took a torch to a moldy spot on the floor in my house(wooden subfloor) and it started spitting out black specs everywhere despite only being barely different color than the floor at that time.... i may be pyro.. but anyway.. its something that happens a lot with small private lakes and bodies of water when in reaction to something sometimes, like turning white or grey (algae stuff).

But thats not likly. Im thinking more the chemical in your compound, a cleaner potentially left over, your wheel composition, and the UV rays of the sun.

does your side wall flex enough while driving to have minor side block contact with road or paths you travel? Like if you hit a dip at speed, would the outer perimeter of the tire which is most visible, possibly swipe the ground at all? Or that part of the tire, does it get hotter than the other parts of the side wall? Your wheel is chrome, right, I am no wheel expert but I assume its a chromed alloy

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Basically, I think there is potentially more than one thing at play here and I think they are similar in how it appears but possibly different things all together. What product was used and how much cleaning was done before applying? Does your truck have perfect alignment, such that this pattern would be seen on all 4 or at least the other tire on the axle? And how long does it take to become brown you think?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I didnt see your last reply, I think I know what will help. your tire wasnt fully cleaned and I think you put a nice glossy protective layer over a possibly soapy, maybe just dirty, maybe even some clay or something, and then in the sun either reacted with the minerals and stuff or dried it out possibly and the coating over dirt is causing it to be visible like that,. You need to clean the tire really good, you may need an aggressive brush or tool, some rotary attachments may help. pressure washer can prob too. You need to get it bare nice tire like in the store, then apply your product per the label. if you do that you should be okay. But if its reacting with tire, thats not good. Can you tell us or show us the product?

Live around clay by chance>?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0 who work for major tire companies did not see this because those companies whole-saled those blems that they might of had.

That absolutely makes sense. Not to slam any particular company but a company I use to work for that has year in it's name had some horrendous quality control issues, so I'm surprised those tires didn't at least occasionally make it to the store. We had more trouble with tread separation, radial tire pull, and general overall manufacture defect issues working there than the other major manufacture I worked for that had Fire in it's name. That place and it's issues is one of the things that got me out of working in tire stores. It's pretty had for me to sell and install tires that I don't believe in. I even had other manufacture of tires on my rigs by the time I left.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That absolutely makes sense. Not to slam any particular company but a company I use to work for that has year in it's name had some horrendous quality control issues, so I'm surprised those tires didn't at least occasionally make it to the store. We had more trouble with tread separation, radial tire pull, and general overall manufacture defect issues working there than the other major manufacture I worked for that had Fire in it's name. That place and it's issues is one of the things that got me out of working in tire stores. It's pretty had for me to sell and install tires that I don't believe in. I even had other manufacture of tires on my rigs by the time I left.
I understand. I worked for a non tire brand retailer(but clearly the company had deals or some kind of preference for cooper and michellin tho, arguably goodyear based on the frequency of deals or rebates.. but it possibly was just goodyear as a whole on that) and I had a similar thought but mostly for the service part. We had unacceptable technicians who, when a car was in for brakes of any kind or an inspection, always needed calipers, rotors, and pads. Convenient how that works? The manager was buddy-buddy with the ones who did that which I think means what I saw was the effect of a cause-effect scenario. Basically pump his departments numbers so he could look good to corporate or the store or some silly nonsense. I couldnt work the service desk faithfully because I know the techs were 1) going to lie about what a vehicle needs 2) going to shamelessly do it 3) That management in all realms was aware and fine with this reality.

I couldnt do it, because I may have only had to watch cooper tire propoganda for like 2 hours straight once about individual tire models(Oh god it was tiring) but I couldnt shake the fact we pretty much presented cooper and michellin as best/only options with a very limited ability to get firestone goodyear(truck sizing, car tires were not hard), Bridgestone, BF Goodrich, Hanook, General Tire, Dunlop, etc. Like, they were purposefully harder to obtain and that was prob a corporate dealings thing where they got better cost/unit or promised a damn near exclusivity possibly kinda thing.

But the thing is, cooper tires are nice, I frankly could sell those in good faith. i believe they are cost effective in normal sizing(RIP 18 inch wheel owners, performance tire owners LOL) and they are well rounded and appropiate for many people and the OWL availability is nice too for like AT3 especially. Wish my snow tires(evolution winters) had that... anyway..

The michellin and pirelli tires, which oddly pirelli was shoe horned in periodically almost on a schedule lol.. they were not. And being expected to tell someone michellin tires were expensive, yes, but they earn that is simply betraying my own experience and also what i have seen in comebacks related to them. The truck highway michellins seem to be fine, pliable, decently produced tires. But man, the car and thin side wall tires really really turned me off michellin and a old car of mine had 7/32 michellin tires(remaining tread) and it had less traction than drag slicks in snow and they were loud at 2.5 years old. Pirelli just fell on its face for tread life and customer complaints and sidewall buldging like, almost without fail each time we put a set on, you see them back with an issue. Michellin was just hard to pretend it was something it wasnt. Goodyear was a lot more.. simple, because I had personal experience I could say yeah these tires are good on my car but I am also aware its a high end tire and I paid half price otherwise I wouldnt have even considered them. I also got my buddy a half price set for his expedition and he said they are good(SR2 sounds right for that). But i was working there when I had my tire blow out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Those tires were in good shape and not excessive old, but they were definitely less than half life left , kept at pressure, and no bulges. They are Kelly tires. Kelly is made by goodyear, and Kelly was the other "budget" brands we sold beside Uniroyal tiger paws and Starfires pretty much. But the kellys still came in more than both of those and frankly I dont trust anything made under the name kelly because We had a lot of buldges as comebacks or road hazzard claims and goodyear wasnt good but yikes. Then of course, my lovely first park avenue which was a steal of a car for 400 dollars... all it needed was plug wires installed in the right order... and my chin had a scar for a while as well as some aches from kissing an airbag. Didnt even burn oil..

So yeah, goodyear is disappointing for sure

I have had great luck with my assurance weathereadys on my car and my Gmas Jeep, but at over 200 a tire for 16 inch 2256016 normally, yikes. they classify as Grand Touring tires for anyone curious. Even tho it has high ratings and the price has lowered since I got them to 150 ish a tire, its hard to make a leap like that if you frankly dont see the quality in the rest of their tire line. Hard to unsee reality when its usually a pissed off and annoyed person making it very clear whats bothering them LOL (which being paid to listen and handle as well)

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl My timeline at tires stores was like this. I spent a few years as a tire mounter at an independent Cooper dealer. Went to work for Firestone as a tech, then later got into management in the store. Though what I'm going to say sounds is counter intuitive We'd warranty maybe 10 tires a year for manufacture defects at Firestone. At Goodyear (and yes we sold Kelly's too) There were months we'd warranty more than 10 manufacture defect tires at Goodyear. Most were due to pulling issues right out the door.

So I was with Firestone during the tire recall surrounding the Ford Explorers, and while I have an opinion on what really happened there I'll save it for another time. Like a year later there was NO business I mean crickets. And I was one of their better paid service managers at the time they called them Manager of vehicle services. I was essentially laid off, I was given options to say in the company but most of those options would have required a lengthy commute. Or going into an experimental tire store they were fooling around with when they were considering getting rid of the Firestone name. I can't remember what they called those stores but they are all long gone now. So I went to work briefly as a tech for independent Goodyear, and then went to a corp store. At the corp store I was the lead tech, safety manager, and shop foreman. I would also fill in for the guys up front. I spent about 5 years at that store and was pretty much miserable the last few years. Mainly like I said because I just didn't believe in the tires so much so that I wasn't even running them on my vehicles. After that I got out of working at tire stores. Unfortunately I now find myself in the position of just being done with the industry as a whole. I'm sure you have read my posts where I complain about pay not keeping up with inflation. Literally I'm making the same as I was 15+ years ago and it's industry wide, at least in this area. I am so done with it, I just want out at this point so I can move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hugger-4641