broken bolt...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano's84

Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have an edelbrock performer eps intake that the throttle bracked bolt has broken off inside of the intake. normally that wouldn't be an issue. but i gave it to.a.friend who said he'd fix it while i was at work...he broke the ez out and proceeded to drill it and now its all messed up? What should i do? Its for my 1984 c10 with a 350. Is there a way around this with an aftermarket bracket or something?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
were you using the stock bracket? cause there is a tci bracket that will do the throttle and TV cable. It mounts to the 2 rear carb studs. The old manual set ups had a bracket that mounted the same and only was used for throttle. It can be modified pretty easily to fit the out board square studs. eddelbrock sells a universal and another one that is supposed to do the throttle and TV but it only does one or the other and the universal is junk because it flexes a little but should be fine for throttle only application.

What exactly do you need ? Throttle ? TV ? Kickdown ?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Pics of said dilemma

Sent from the dust in front of you!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Unless your friend really butchered it up, there's no reason to resort to adapters or Helicoil inserts.

Provided that the broken off easy out is not still in there (or it can be removed), there is plenty of extra meat around the throttle bracket bolt hole to drill and tap for the next size bolt. What size is that bolt 5/16"? From the looks of the casting in the surrounding area where that hole is located - there would be no harm in drilling for a 3/8" bolt:

You must be registered for see images attach

Just be sure not to drill too deep when re-boring the bolt hole - only go as deep as the current bore. Who knows how much aluminum there is between the bottom of the hole and the underside of the manifold casting. You'll have to drill the hole on the front leg of the bracket - to accept the larger bolt - as well.

Last edited:

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
drill out, re tap to larger size

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Since it's a blind hole, you'll need two taps, a tapered tap to get the hole started, and a square-end tap to get threads all the way to the bottom.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
heli-coil as mentioned but yes there is a chrome universal bracket you can buy that bolts to the rear carb bolt hole. I've used tons of them. Not the best but they work.

heli-coils work too I had to use one on my tbi intake where the tb bolts down.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I'm guessing the ez-out is still in there. I've never had much luck drilling them out, usually end up buggering everything around it.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
At the end of the day its probably a whole lot easier just to buy a new intake. If the one in question is not already installed. You could take it to a machine shop. If its installed just go with a different bracket to avoid using the buggered up bolt location.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd either run a different style bracket that mounts to the carb studs, or just replace it. Aluminum intakes have always been easy for me to find for 50-75 bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus