Break line in the way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick9265

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
First off wanted to say I love all the info on this site. I got 2 square bodies a 78 and a 80 love them a bunch. My issue is I went to change break pads on my 80 which I have had now only a few months an am getting it ready for snow plow duty. Got the pasanger side done no problem as I have done my 78's twice before. On the 80 the drivers side top bolt on the caliper hits the metal break line by a bit over an 1/8 of an inch. I don't want to snap it by trying to bend it by hand or punter it by trying to slide it past. Am I just left to disconnect it then bleed them after ? Or can I use a pipe bender with it still connected?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Can you post a pick of it for us?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
yes pics please :)

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah I'm totally confused lol.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
First off wanted to say I love all the info on this site. I got 2 square bodies a 78 and a 80 love them a bunch. My issue is I went to change break pads on my 80 which I have had now only a few months an am getting it ready for snow plow duty. Got the pasanger side done no problem as I have done my 78's twice before. On the 80 the drivers side top bolt on the caliper hits the metal break line by a bit over an 1/8 of an inch. I don't want to snap it by trying to bend it by hand or punter it by trying to slide it past. Am I just left to disconnect it then bleed them after ? Or can I use a pipe bender with it still connected?

Sounds like the hard line is bent out of shape or the banjo was bolt was tightened with the line being in the wrong spot. Sounds like maybe all you need to do is loosen the banjo bolt that holds the flex line to the caliper and then rotate the line out of the way. You would need to bleed the brakes after doing so. I have often just bought new calipers so I could bleed the brakes as its fairly common to have the bleeder screw seized beyond belief. Its caused from the constant heat cycling that the caliper experiences from daily operation. IMO they are so cheap I just see it as a maintenance item. Besides its always nice to know that you have reliable brakes anyways lol

Nick9265

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well yes I got to it this morning an ended up doing like you said and loosened it a bit just enough to get it past the hard line then tightened it up right away. Then when done I bled the line. It drove great after all that. It was just a pain as I had never had that before. At some point I will change the break lines as I end up changing front pads once a year due to the wear from the plow. Thanks so much for your response ! I am sure I will have more questions soon enough.! And yes as well I may change calipers too on my 78 they were only 35 bucks ! But the ones on my 80 are still good. I might change my rear shoes as when in back up I get a loud squawk sound from both ! Is that a sign they are warn!? I got full floating axles too!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size