brake release handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Has anyone ever changed the parking brake handle, lmc says it is a press on

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
A few months ago I was wondering about this too. In my case it wasn't the e-brake release handle, but rather the handle on the end of the hood release cable.

I thought I was going to have to figure it out. But then one day while at the junkyard, I saw an entire hood release cable in perfect condition and pulled it out. Went home, removed the cable with the broken handle (chucked it without ever delving into how it was attached) and installed the good one. That was the end of my concern.

But it will probably happen again and so - to help you and me in the future - I looked around. Here is what I found:

This post:

· I bought a new brake handle for my 1984 truck and can not figure how to take the old black one off the rod. Seems to be glued. Anyone know how to remove the old one so I can install the new handle? Thanks

· if the old one is not any good, then take a hacksaw and split it top and bottom to the rod (try not the cut into the rod). Take a cold chisel and a hammer and break it apart, them clean off the rod with a sandpaper drum on a rotary tool. Glue the new one on.

· I fabricated one out of 1/2" rod, TIG'd together to a T, attaching with two set-screws to what was left of the original shaft.

The original handle broke off in fragments, and appeared either glued or formed over the shaft. There are barbs on the shaft to help lock the handle together to the shaft. I removed those to attach the handle I made.

Not sure what to do in your case.

· The plastic handle off the metal shaft to which it is attached? You will need to take a grinder to it - there are "barbs" on the metal shaft that stick out inside the plastic handle, it cannot be "removed" as far as I can tell, without breaking it.

I shared my story because I saw how the original was attached when the original part broke off in my big beefy mitts.

I'm not sure how you can attach a new handle to the existing handle shaft, unless there is something special about the replacement handle.

I ground off the barbs to fit my replacement fabricated handle.

· Wish GM would have just screwed them on. Would have made it a lot less work taking it off and installing a new one. Thanks for reply

· GM did on some vehicles. You could probably convert yours to the screw-on style so long as the rod diameter is large enough for cutting the appropriate sized threads

· That sounds good but have to get it off first. But think if I ever do get it off I will just glue it on.

He must have given up for awhile because a few months later he starts a new thread and asks again:

I can not get the old emergency brake handle off to install the new one I bought. What is the best way to get the old one off so I can install the new handle? Thanks

No one has ever taken a brake release handle off and put on a new one? No one???

I replaced mine awhile back. There are no threads, just two tabs. To get the old one off you need to break the plastic where it wraps onto the rod. Use some side cutters or a dremel. The new one pushes on very tight. May go on better if you heat it up slightly (very slightly), push it on and let it cool. Be careful not to bend the rod.

OK, thanks

Inconclusive to say the least. So...it looks like it's up to you Ervin. It's your time to shine. You will have to do this procedure on your own - and report back with your findings/results/recommendations.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77